National 12 - find out more...

Transporting boats by train

Started by duncan, 10 Feb 2014, 10:08

« previous - next »

duncan

I am looking for any historical information regarding transporting boats to meetings in the pre or post war years.  I thought I remembered an article, but can't find it.
The reason for this question comes as an aside to another one from another forum, rail transport, where there was a query regarding "boat waggons."  This has been discussed & probably does not relate to heavy wooden boat carriage, rather steel plate carriage. 
I would presume that a 12 plus mast would be carried in the guards' van or special van with end doors due to their light weight & susceptability to damage, or would they be car towed in 1930s to 1950s ?  If anyone can give any information or photos & do not mind it appearing in another forum, I would be greatful.

Many thanks  Duncan
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

angus

There is a very brief mention of boats being delivered to Felixstowe by rail for the 1946 Burton week in the history section of the handbook, but it gives no details.

All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jerry G

I was at Reading University 1962-6.  The university sailing club used to have a "marine meet" camping at Salcombe for a week during the long vacation.  I never went to this so cannot give details but I know a large rail wagon was pre-booked.  The Firefly dinghies were taken to the goods yard or siding on their launching trolleys, a long walk!  I think the truck took 4 or possibly 6 dinghies.  Perhaps some other ex-RUSC member can give more detail.

duncan

Hi Angus, that's what I remembered, Jerry many thanks
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

n12 Bottom Banner