National 12 - find out more...

Bent mast

Started by Overomtimistix, 02 Mar 2014, 01:32

« previous - next »

Overomtimistix

I have been to visit my boat and found, that after the floods, the mast has a considerable bend in it. It is quite neat; just a gentle curve towards the stern between the bottom of the sail track and where the mast comes through the gate. There doesn't appear to be any bend to the side.

The boat is a Baggy Trousers 3342.

The mast is alluminium, I think a Proctor section.

I have several options:

• do nothing and see what effect it has in practice.

[/list]

• try to straighten the mast - does anybody have any advice or suggestions?

[/list]

• buy a second hand replacement - what are the things I need to find out to check whether it is suitable for my boat?

[/list]

• use this as an excuse to get a new mast (I shall see what the insurers have to say about this) - who makes good masts, what would suit a baggy?

[/list]

If I get a replacement mast, will I need to get the boat remeasured?

thanks

dan
                  [/list]
                  [/list]

[/list]
                  [/list]

[/list]
                  [/list]

[/list]
                  [/list]

johnk

The attached picture shows advice given by Proctor masts in 1976

jonathan_twite

That picture is brilliant!!
                  I know people who have straightened masts and so it is do-able.  I bent a mast on a capsize and my insurance had no problems in paying for a new one (I had new-for-old cover) so check your policy - you may be able to get a new one and then straighten the old one as a spare.
                  I believe that you would have to get the mast measured, to insure the black bands were in the right place for your sails.
                  N3162 (Baggy Trousers) "Bicycle Clips"
                  N2709 (Paper Dart) "Goose Hunter"

Chadders

Well located pic and article John I wish my filing system was that good.  Yes it does work and I have done several in the past the tricky bit is finding an elephant!  Two people can do this but it only works on gentle bends and any kinks or even crazing in the anodising probably means that the aluminium is stressed so time to talk to your insurers.

Overomtimistix

Yes, I like the elephant, but don't know any locally!
                  I'm tempted by Jonathan's suggestion
                  I have been in contact with the insurers, and also had a chat with Tom at P&B. Is it worth paying the extra for a carbon mast?

angus

I am not the best person to answer this question as the main benifit I saw when I had a carbon mast was the releif on the faces of people around me when I was rigging in windy conditions.:-/
                  I would suggest that to gain maximium benifit from a carbon mast you would also have to invest in a new set of rags to hang from it. Probably worth speaking to Tom Stewart at P&B he is usually quite happy to give sensible advice with out trying to sell you something.
                  All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Overomtimistix

I have bought a (nearly) new set of rags - about three years old hardly used.

Interested Party

I have a mast from a Crusader, apparently.  I bought by mistake, too short for my starfish - deeper cockpit.
                  yours for £50.  If you need it.
                  Cheers
                  Steve Hawkins <br />N12 - Planet 672 -1948 (Holt modified 500 series)<br />N12 - Spider 2523 - 1971 (Spider) <br />N12 - Sparkle 2383 - 1967 (Starfish)

Overomtimistix

I have now taken some pictures for the insurance. There is a distinct kink where it has been bent against the mast gate. I have been considering splashing out the extra for carbon if they agree to cover the cost of a metal one.
                  I mentioned this to one of the other 12 sailors at the club, who suggested sorting what I have cheaply and selling it on to fund a more modern design that already has carbon fittings and sails. On the other hands, would a carbon mast make the current boat (Baggy Trousers) easier to sell?
                  What would work well for inland river sailing seldom troubled by too much wind?

n12 Bottom Banner