National 12 - find out more...

do you have a 4 planker?

Started by paul turner, 10 Jul 2013, 11:05

« previous - next »

paul turner

Greetings All!

Forgive the pun, but I am "testing the water" for any interest in running an event for 4 plank N12s, a group of N12s which seems to have been overlooked in the past. We do have a 4P category at the Trent Valley September open meeting but with the apparent success of the Vintage Champs what about one for the "Forgotten Fours"?

One thought is that it might possible to run a Four Plank champs alongside the Vintage Champs with the same series of six races over a weekend (Derwent Handicap on the Saturday and scratch on the Sunday) with 4P starts five minutes before the vintage?

Four plank designs will include Paper Darts, Cheshire Cats, Windfalls, Pipedreams, but the inclusion of the still competitive Final Chapters and Man o Wars might unbalance things? :o

Interested in your comments! If there is sufficent interest, we would need to start planning now!

RVSP soonest
Px N2750 Cheshire Cat 8)

Neal

Paul - yes if Indecision would qualifies?  Baaed on Burton Week performance not sure we'd qualify as a performance risk :)

3271 & 3501

paul turner

I think that your yot is a cold moulded D8, and therefore (sadly) deos not qualify as a 4 planker.:'(

Neal

Quite right there.  Must be time get a second boat then...
3271 & 3501

Tom white (Guest)

Hey Paul, I would be very interested in a 4 plank series!!
 There only seems to be only a few 4-plank boats on the circuit (correct me if I'm wrong)
And there are so many boats out there, and they still show some promise against the newer boats!
 At olton mere we now have 2 pipe dreams, a windfall, china doll and a final chapter so there are possibly 4-5 boats rite there!

Tom white (2765)

paul turner

Hi Tom. I wasn't suggesting a full series just bolting on six races for 4ps onto the Vintage Champs! And we now have two Cheshire Cats at TVSC, plus a Paper Dart. Let's see who else is out there. P8)

Chris Troth

My chapter is of course 4 plank but I don't think I'm particularly in danger of upsetting any balance!
Chris

angus

I think if there is going to be a a 4 plonker... sorry 4 planker event there must be a cut off date only allowing desgins before that date as there is with vintage boats. It seems to me there is little point in having a 4 planler event that would have china dolls and cheshire cats etc competeing against Db chapters. I would also exclude any retro fitted DB boats from such an event.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

chopper

I would be up for it with subversion 2905 if I have not sold it

chopper

Think a cut off number of 2911 would be a good idea that way it excludes 4 planners like umbrella that pushed the rules to go round lol

edwillett

Paul
I may well be up for it having just acquired 2701 for Club racing. Trouble is I now have a "ribbie"(402), a vintage (1833) and a four planker...so I shall find it very hard to decide which boat to bring. I suppose in my mind 1833 is my racer (ie boat to trail to Opens)....2701 is parked in the Dinghy Park for Club use, and 402 might get out for a gentle sail occasionally....

FuzzyDuck

As the temporary custodian of a Cheshire cat I think it owuld be fun. The problem with Angus' suggestion is where do you stop? Is Tom excluded because he has a carbon mast? So why shouold a DB not be allowed.
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

paul turner

Other feed back has been that to include the 4 plank event with the vintage champs could give some sailors a bit of a problem - do they sail their vintage or their 4p? I had not thought of that and should have done as I now own Cheshire Cat N2750! So where and when to hold this magnificent event? Any volunteers?

My personal feeling is that DBs (being FCs and MoWs are a much newer designs and at a major design advantage) should not be included.

Px 8) N2750

Chris Troth

My chapter may be a much newer design, and has had a double bottom retro-fitted, but is a wood built 4 planker - and from what I remember, weighs more than my chesire cat did, so no advantage in that. It also fits the class definition of an Admirals Cupper - the double floor makes no difference, and I would guess that it would confer little advantage, as capsizes are pretty rare when you think about it. I'd also argue that the choice of venue may give a design advantage to some of the narrower boats over mine.
We have several 4 plankers at the Mere - we'd be happy to add this to our meeting in October.
Chris

edwillett

Paul
I concur...that in having a 4Planker event separate from Vintage evnts would allow those of us who have both to potentially do both.
And...in terms of definition, my view of the 4Plankers being talked about here are those boats constructed prior to the Admiral's Cup Crusader/Baggy era that was kicked off by Punkarella. (ie Not Final Chapter's...)

n12 Bottom Banner