National 12 - find out more...

do you have a 4 planker?

Started by paul turner, 10 Jul 2013, 11:05

« previous - next »

Chadders

Better buy a 4 planker as well then Mrs C will not be happy with me.

smilie

Sorted :) Ely sailing club has given us the ok for an 4 planker event in 2014 and a possible date. The only thing is with a tight calender and getting let down this year they would like to run a four planker along side a normal 12 opening meeting. I'm also wondering about inviting the vintage 12's along as well.
What do you all think? Are you ok with this? And would the option of separate starts for different Categories of 12 be a good one.
As a side note I'm also wondering about running 5 45 minute races in instead of the normal 3 hour long type races.
What do you think? Will this be to much?
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

Chadders

Short races are a good idea but not sure if running vintage and 4 plank together would work for those with both to choose from.  Any other thoughts from my vintage pals?  Sorry to hear you were let down this year I would try and support probably with my vintage if its an option as I currently have not got a 4 planker in the fleet all depends on the date and other comitments of course.

smilie

Running an combined event for all categories of 12 is tricky. It's a good very of getting a good attendance for the opening but there seams to a lot people who have a fleet of 12's to choose from. So it runs the risk of diluting what we a trying to achive with a series of 4 planker. All depends how many people of got a fleet of 12's to choose from I 'spose.

paul turner

Let's cut to the chase:

1. How many peeps have got four plankers (or can borrow one)?

2. How many of those would attend a three event open meeting series? I will, with Cheshire Cat N2750.

3. Trent Valley is happy to host a 4 Plank open meeting (one Sunday of our choice, three races 14:00, 15:00 and 17:00 separate start with Club racing) if we go with Ely and Olton Mere can we agree on a three meeting series, all three results to count (or 2 of 3)?

RSVP! Px 8)

tom white

there will be at least 2 or 3 from olton who would be able to make it
 also series is a good idea, but personally as I work a lot and have late calls etc if it was 3 to count and I had to work one of the dates there would in sense be no point of entering the last event or so on , maybe 2 out of 3 unless you take all 9 or 15 races (if there are 3 or 5 races at each club) as if you were doing club race series and do half plus one scoring system.( probly complicated and a stupid idea but I thought I would put it out there 

tom white (2765, nearly 3533)

paul turner

Two of three to count? I'm happy with that!
Just awaiting dates from TVSC and Olton Mere and we are ready to rock.....!
Px:K)

STU W

This ties in with my post today. Am looking at getting a pipe dream, bouncer or legal around August this year and would love to do some racing in 2015. As am in the South East both Ely and Oulton are possibilities for me. Even early strongholds of the class like Earlswood and Midland. Will probably join Ardleigh another old twelve club and if I do would love to promote the class there again
12's are for life not just for christmas.

smilie

STU W

Anybody selling a street legal or pipedream in good condition in the south east or does anybody know of any sitting around and never sailed?

smilie

A little way outside the southeast but Dodeca http://www.national12.org/boats/index.php?action=view&value=3059 looks well sorted and might worth the extra miles to get a boat which looks ready to go. http://www.national12.org/adverts/detail.php?id=1065

smilie

STU W

Looked at photos of Dodeca and the two floor panels look really dodgy could be just varnish but a long way to go if not. Paper Dart is too old a design for me tbh. Love the wider classics. Bouncers, pipedream street legal poss windfall, tiger

smilie

Her history says Dodeca has had new decks, gunwhales and a few hull repairs. Also judging by the 2012 set of ebay photo's she has got some newish sails. You can alway ask to see if the currnet owner minds taking a few photos of the areas you are worried about. (gotta love digital technology)
Quote from: 29Looked at photos of Dodeca and the two floor panels look really dodgy could be just varnish but a long way to go if not.
That's always the risk with buying boats. Once in a while you drive a long way to see a lemon. 
Also I noticed Bouncer was on Ebay a couple weeks ago. 
Yeah know what you mean Bouncer is one of my fav 12 designs. Does anyone know how many Bouncer's are out there still sailing?

smilie

n12 Bottom Banner