National 12 - find out more...

Mast help!

Started by Emily Fardell, 12 Aug 2014, 03:16

« previous - next »

Emily Fardell

This is a massive plea for help! Having just sent out entry in for burton week we have now snapped our mast! 
If anybody has a deck stepped mast we could borrow or a old carbon mast we could buy please please let us know. 
Any help with pointing us in the right direction to get a new one would be grately appreciated! 

Emily 3404

Nick Copsey

Hi Emily,
I have already broken 2 masts this year, both were replaced on insurance by p&b intime to be sailed at the next event. If you take your broken mast to them it helps with getting the correct measurements and settings.
Hope this helps.
Nick

Kevin

If it is a carbon mast you have broken then, so long as it is not in too many pieces, anyone who makes them should be able to repair it before Burton Week. As Nick said, P&B would be a good first call and Tom will probably deliver it to Pevensey bay for you.
Kevin

Emily (Guest)

Hi

Unfortunately I'm hitting a lot of brick walls, p&b can't do it in time, seldon are saying 6-8 weeks, anybody else got anybody else I can try?

Thanks for your help though!!
Emily

Antony (Guest)

Emily,
You do need to talk to your insurance company.  They might have a list of people they can suggest too....
Two other questions that would help us:
1.  Is the broken mast metal - and so not repairable?  If it is metal do you know the make/type?
2.  Where are you in the UK?  Your mast is non-standard, even by N12 standards, and so it is likely that any chandler with a suitable tube and the time to make up a mast for you will need the other one to copy.
I do have a spare carbon mast but it came out of a Foolish so even if you wanted to buy it then you would need somebody with the skills to shorten it and make it work on your boat.  Buying 2nd hand is also a way to make your insurance claim a lot more complicated!
Good luck, if it is any consolation I broke mine in the middle of the first Burton Wk I ever attended and managed to get a new one for the following day....
Antony

Guest (Guest)

Hi
if it is a carbon mast one option is to fix it yourself
I made mine out of a couple of broken ones it only took a couple of hours I 
Have a few bits of super spar tube and some sail track if that helps
Alan Beeton

GC

Hi Emily

If you cannot fix the mast you could borrow my baggy 3411, which is very similar age to yours and as fast as any in the AC category.
It would need someone to take it from here (Suffolk) as I am off to Wales for the Fireball champs on Friday, and going to Pevensey straight from there.
Alternatively I am coming down to Hayling Island on Friday (approx 8-9pm) so could bring the Baggy with me if someone can meet me and take the boat then.
My number is in the book and Frances can give you my work no if nescessary.
Good Luck with the mast
Gerald Copsey

GC

Hi Emily
Forgot to ask if you have tried Aardspars.
If you want me to bring the boat I will need to know by tomorrow lunchtime. 
Gerald

Kevin

Emily,
if it helps, I have a carbon Superspars mast for my Baggy which is not currently sailable. You are welcome to borrow it, including cutting it down, so long as when it is returned you have it professionally put back to how it was. If you are interested in this option, I suspect you will need to source a new heel for it. I am in Essex, you can either collect it from me so you can get it sorted before Burton Week, or I can take it with me to Pevensey (arriving Friday lunchtime-ish). contact details are Kevin dot iles at chaucerplc dot com or (0)7912 997 889.
Kevin

n12 Bottom Banner