National 12 - find out more...

stripping paint

Started by paul turner, 09 Dec 2014, 02:18

« previous - next »

paul turner

Whisper was painted with grey primer, then white undercoat topped off with a lovely yellow top coat - the loose stuff is coming off easily but in various places absolutely nothing will shift the coatings!

Neither Nitromores or hot air blower/scraper have any effect on several large areas.

Any ideas (other than a bonfire?)

Px N2492 :o

Chadders

3m 80 grit ( proper stuff) and a power sander, give it some wellie Paul.

JohnMurrell

I agree with Chadders about the grit but a power sander - too agressive for me Paul

Personally I use a Bosch GEX150ACV DA sander available from Screwfix and all other Bosch stockists, ok at £169.99 not the cheapest bit of kit but they last; mine i bought in 1996 and its still going strong. Additionally the fact that Bosch haven't replaced or changed the spec in all that time must say something.

Attached to a Henry and you get an almost dust free working enviroment too - result.

The only consideration is that Henry's don't last as long as the DA - I am on my 3rd now!!!!!

Chadders

Wrong terminology perhaps, an electric sander not a belt sander!  Bosch is good as any and better than most.  I admit I do for the rapid approach and you do need to take a lot of care not to go through a veneer especially on decks!

paul turner

Thanks Guys!

I should mention that the Old Dragon was not amused when I suggested that she or my favourite mother-in-law might help by breathing on the recalcitrant paint work!
It's been quite frosty round here.....

Px N2492 :-/

gerry ledger (Guest)

Paul you are not aloud to mention BONFIRE

angus

Paul I used a scraper I got from B&Q with replacable blades, I went through quite a few blades, that and multipul coats of nitromos got everything off but it maybe was not quite as tough as what youve got. But a sharp scraper is vital.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

martin 1262

Paul. Sounds like you have found something to keep you busy!!! Anyway agree with the comments if I can add to this I am in the process of restoring an old streaker and have used a belt sander with a 40 grade which is very abrasive but was able to control the speed of the belt. This gives you some control but only did this on the outer hull. I have tried nitro mores but never got on with it it seemed very long winded when dealing with lots of layers of paint. Using the belt was very effective over some poor epoxy repairs and epoxy as you know is tough stuff !!Give me a bell if you need any help!! Martin

Mike Liggett

I have always found the hot air gun and scraper best.  You do need to get the paint quite warm and it is essential that the scraper is kept sharp.

paul turner

Thanks for the advice above, guys, and the several phone calls - just proves what a friendly and helpful class we have!

Interestingly Nitromors is lifting the varnish inside the boat. As regards the outside, I have used three different types of scraper (with the hot air blower); the least successful was the Stanley knife blade one!

The belt sander seems a bit too scarey so I'll try the electric sander next. Px

n12 Bottom Banner