National 12 - find out more...

Restoration help

Started by Supership by woodwind, 09 Feb 2015, 10:07

« previous - next »

Supership by woodwind

Hi, I'm just starting the restoration of N2934 SuperShip, I am looking for a bit of advice on the following:
1- the boat needs new gunwales as the current ones are rotten, does anyone know of a decent wood suppliee on the south coast or around the m3?
2- the other issue I can find is one of the shrouds is broken, the mast is an old needlespar and I cant work out just how to get the old bit out without taken a fair number of rivets outs, it is worth the hassle or does anyone have a spare rig I could purchase?
Thanks
sandy

monkeynuts

Sandy try Bampton in bitterne Southampton they are fantastic

JohnMurrell

Sandy,
From memory on most Needlespar's isn't there an aluminium rod that goes through the mast above where the shrouds go into the mast? If so this is sacrificial or can be removed with care, the old shroud should then pull out and then be replaced. 
I have posted a diagram of the Needlespar rigging on the website previously - look at 2760 on the database

Also Robins in Bristol are very good with their timber stocks and will deliver.

icecreamman

From memory as a follow up to what John previously posted the aluminium rod that holds the ends of the shroudis can be removed and replaced with a stainless steel bolt. This will then allow you to replace the shrouds at will in case of any other terrible emergencies

edwillett

Please post pics and progress updates on the databse. It will be lovely to see N2934 come alive again.....

smilie

And if you looking for a date to get SuperShip finished for it would be really good to see her on the 14th June for the Milton Keynes 4 plank event. 
On another a needle spar note I have got one in the barn if anyone wants one.
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

n12 Bottom Banner