National 12 - find out more...

Starter Manual - First National 12

Started by Rascl, 29 Mar 2015, 10:50

« previous - next »

Rascl

Hello. Just bought Rascal- my first national 12. not sailed since an enterprise 15 years ago. Plan to do some gentle days then get into some club racing. The boad is fully tuneable, mast ram, kicking strap, outhaul, dangly pole etc. The club I have joined has no other national 12's at the moment. I have spent a windy set on land trying tomaster the rig and what ropes do what. I want to set the boat up properley rather than lash things together in what seems to fit. I see the guides on the forum. Does anyone know of any other good books etc  - I really need a picture guide of how all the below is set up:
- Kicking strap
- Mast Ram
- MAin sheet
- Jib
-Outhaul
- Cuningham
Apart from the guides on this site - can anybody direct me to any other resource ?? Pictures and arows best to really make it simple

Thank You
James
[mail=watererj@hotmail.co.uk]watererj@hotmail.co.uk[/mail]

John Meadowcroft (Guest)

Hi James
Congratulations on your purchase!
The guides are good, but there is nothing better than putting your boat next to someone elses in the dinghy park.
Where are you based?
Get along to an event if you can as this is the best way to get a head start on things.
John

Rascl

John,
thanks , saling at roadford lake in devon at moment. Based there for summer but live in woking, so thinking of joint burg field near reading in autumn.stating to work out most of it! The Cunningham is a bit confusing, can't see a separate block and take fir it, maybe it just links in using a strap from the kicker?

Jeremy C

James,
Do come along to Burghfield,we have plenty of 12's here and hopefully can get you sorted.
Jeremy
jeremy@designs42.net
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Rascl

Jeremy
thanks mine is 3247 - rascal. Will bring the boat up from devon after summer

maybe I can pop over one sat and see how some of the 12 are rigged

if u have a pic of how a cuningham and kicking strap is rigged would be great

who should I contatc at the club re jointing after the summer ?

i will join the association and infom of where boat is

james

John M (Guest)

JAmes
Ideally a "standard" cunningham will be arranged so that there is a cleat on either side of the boat - led to helm or crew. 
You need one long line that...
Starting at one cleat is led to the base of the mast and then via a block up through the mast gate.
Then thread through another block with a line attached to it (line 2) and return the line to the base of the mast on the other side of the boat and to the other cleat.
Line 2 is a short line which goes from this block through the cunningham eye and then secures to the gooseneck.
Pulling on line 1 should pull the cunningham on...  The total purchase is 2:1 + 2:1 = 4:1
Hope this makes sense.
John

Jeremy C

James,
we are generally down on Sundays rather than Saturdays if you can make it, feel free to drop me an e-mail and we'll swap telephone numbers.
There are contact details on the club website about joining- www.burghfieldsailing.org (under the information button) be great to have another twelve on the water.

(e-mail on post above)
Jeremy
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

n12 Bottom Banner