National 12 - find out more...

First 12

Started by Fred, 01 May 2015, 05:48

« previous - next »

Fred

I´m very happy to be the new owner of 3257 Simply Red. She was in France for years now and she needs to be re-rigg. But i have  never seen another 12 before. I need a lot of informations about this boats.
The mast is not a TRUE 12 one, so i.m not sure about the lenght, spreaders position, boom position... My mast is 668 from under the step mast to the top of the main halyard. Boom is 121 cm from the step mast, spreaders 354. Is itgood or really bad ?
shrouds don't have any controls just verniers And the rake of the mast seems to a lot behind. I know this boats are all differents but if someone can tell me about a neutral position i can measure from the top of the mast/transform with the halyard, it'll be very kind.
for the shrouds control i woud like to have one control for both to the centreboard.
i know there is a lot of questions but i can assure it is just the begining.
(Please, excuse me for my french)
regards.

fred

Fred

I ve forgot to say, i live in France, britanny near Saint Malo.

tom lee

Hi Fred,

These measurement sound reasonable. everything on a 12 mast is normally measured from the sheerline not the mast foot.
here are the measurements for mymast as reference (carbon):
Sheerline to gooseneck: 690mm
Sheerline to spreaders: 3040mm
Sheerline to hounds:4623mm

the rules limit height to the top of the sail to 6100mm abvove the sheerline

hope this helps
Tom
Tom<br />N3545

Fred

Hi Tom,
thanks a lot. glad to see the mast seems ok. Houds are just 4 cm upper yours, so i think it Is not a big trouble. So if the mast is ok, it is a very good point.
next step is raking the mast. Do i have to put it straight from the sheerline or is it the bad way to do ?

tom lee

hi Fred,

for the rake have a look at the tuning guide on the website, it explains how to set it up. basically, set the boat level to its water line and hang a weight from the main halyard measure the rake horizontally  from the  halyard to the mast at gooseneck level; this should be about 300mm for medium winds.
Tom<br />N3545

Fred

To set the boat on his water line, does the bow have to be vertical ? I ve never seen her on the water...

Fred

Or a horizontal centreboard case ?

john m (Guest)

Hi Fred
Congratulations on your purchase!

For your purposes assumes waterline is with stem vertical as a starting point.  It will not be far from wrong.
John

Fred

Thank you John, i will try this set up this sunday. Et merci Pierrick pour la proposition, j'attend ma premiere navigation avec impatience histoire  de voire comment ce comporte ce trés beau bateau prometteur.
Cheers.
Fred

n12 Bottom Banner