National 12 - find out more...

forestay tensioning

Started by monkeynuts, 21 May 2015, 07:54

« previous - next »

monkeynuts

On fit out of Avalon, undecided on the best route for forestay tensioning. Can anybody share photos of a good set up be it purchases, hook or lever? All thoughts and advice welcome. 
Google is not coming up trumps and I'm the only 12 at my club!

edwillett

I can send/post pics of 3274 having just rebuilt her and set up/calibrated rig this week....will be at club tomorrow...

Antony (Guest)

The classic answer is:
1.  Wire loop of jib halyard exits mast just below gooseneck.
2.  It hooks on to a big hook that is on a wire 2:1 up the back of the mast and through the mast gate behind the mast.  One end is dead - attached to hog or mast foot plate.  The other end turns on a block mounted on the side of the hog by the mast heel.
3.  This end of the 2:1 connects to a set of blocks giving (I think) another 6:1 (might be 8:1 but you do not want too much as you have a limited throw) that is attached to the underneath of that side of the centreboard capping just forward of the thwart.  The end of the string on that tackle comes up like the shrouds normally do through a sheeve on the top of the capping and into a cleat.  This is why most boats have two sheeves on one side and only one on the other (two shrouds and a halyard).
Personally I do not adjust the halyard much on the water and could probably revert to a row of hooks on the mast without too much trouble!!
Photos from Ed will make this much clearer than my written attempts... guessing that he does something similar.
Antony
N3348 & N3529

monkeynuts

Thanks guys confirms my thoughts over the years of rigging with other classes.
My 3317 had a purchase and hook arrangement just as you mentioned but on going down the keep it simple route the old hook rack maybe a simpler / tidier option. 
Any photos as and when much appreciated. Always reluctant to get trigger happy with the drill on a bare boat and nice to see the most favoured method.

smilie

Your are right the simplest method is a hook or set of sharks teeth and if you have fully adjustable strouds to use them to apply rig tension. I was thinking of going for the say system on the re-rig of Soapy until I thought I better check the wire length on jib luffs is the same. Which they aren’t out all of them are different lengths by about +/- 5mm. Which in my mind pretty much counts out a hook or rack system because it isn’t doesn’t give options for fine turning. In other words swamping jibs say on windy could very easily throw rig tension and rig out without adjust ability to re-again your settings.

So I’m keeping to purchase on the jib halyard and using  the trusty sharpy to mark the position the hook should be.  
Think of going to sort all out tomorrow so might post photo's later.
Ps Monkeynuts where are based?
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

monkeynuts

That is the issue I thought about and can only think of buying 2 hook racks or a longer than standard item as normally seen. Photos would be handy always nice to see. I have a design 8+ and a paradigm to hand but they are both on the more complex side of layout. 
I am based in Southampton sailing on Southampton water. Will have another look at her today as she has some events to attend. First 12 one will be the 12 fest hopefully!

smilie

Sorry no photo’s a rainy day and shortening shrouds and jib halyard took longer than I thought (found a new use for lowers). Had it taken photos they would looked very complicated for what really is halyard exiting the mast below the gooseneck to 6:1 purchase anchored to the mast step. Which in Soapy’s case is split cleated on the side decks but really could just as easily be run to a cleat anywhere in the boat as is the case with Subversion? One word of advice is don’t be tempted have the halyard exiting at the foot of the mast to a purchase next the centreboard case. This is how Subversion is set up and I always find it gets in the way of the kicker and everything else.

You are more than welcome to come to Milton Keynes Sailing Club open the Sunday before and if you want to make two weekends of it then I sure it will be OK to leave your boat in the compound and you pick it up on your way to Northampton. This offer also goes to anyone wanting to do both but the idea of going to MK one weekend and Northampton the next is putting you off.
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

monkeynuts

Well it's been a good day and I have found a neat way of making it work keeping to the hook block and purchase system. 
Thanks for your kind offer we will see if we can make it to the four plank open the week before. Need some shake downs as I estimate her last trip out would be measured in years!

n12 Bottom Banner