National 12 - find out more...

New to 12's

Started by Jimmy Ruddiman, 04 Jun 2015, 07:37

« previous - next »

Jimmy Ruddiman

Hi Guys and Gals, just bought 3203 Crusader, my 1st 12 :) I think Ive got her set up reasonably well, but just a couple of questions:
Where do people run their pole line to? Do you split it and take to crew area decks, or just single line in the middle by the mast?
It looks like she had some kind of barber hauler system, instead of adjustable jib cars, any thoughts on this?
Does anyone have any rig numbers, spreader lengths, etc for a 21 ish stone crew weight?
And lastly, though maybe a bit cheeky, does anyone have any 2nd sails going reasonably cheaply? Something that will do the the odd open, but mostly club racing? The sails that came with the boat are ok to get me going, but probably only good for very windy days.
Thanks, looking forward to seeing you all at some events.
Jimmy
N12 3203
RS300 426
Jimmy Ruddiman<br />N12 3203<br />RS300 426

monkeynuts

Hi Jim, 
Have some sails for you that would fit the bill. Welcome to the class :) I too am a crusader sailor, can share set up photos if you need them.

Jimmy Ruddiman

Hi,
Can you send me some phtos of the sails, and an asking price? Where are you based? :) 
Excellent, if you have any photos of things I will probably have missed Id really appreciate that.
Thanks

Jimmy (Guest)

Jimmy,
Almost all jibstick lines end on the back of the top of the foredeck on one side of the mast or another.  You cannot get enough throw to split it and still be able to get from 'right off' to 'right on' even if you wanted the extra purchase/friction.  It does mean that it is sometimes the wrong side of the Kicker but the crew quikcly gets used to pulling it around to work.  Most of us use a cleat that has an exit fairlead so you can pull it from well off to one side:
The expensive one:
http://www.pinbax.com/index.asp?Details=2372&mc=HARDWARE&sc=Cleats&ssc=&ordering=
Tuning Guide is here and p13 should answer your questions about lengths and angles as a starting point.  21 stone is a bit above the averages so longer spreaders and/or less deflection will be the direction to move from these numbers - a Crusader and a D8 are similar enough to us D8 numbers on your boat:
http://national12.org/downloads/tuning_guide_revised_2004_v1.pdf

Any problems come to a Gul event if you can and ask lots of questions....
Antony
N3448 & 3529

Jimmy Ruddiman

Hi Antony,
Thanks for all the info, I will see what I can get sorted. Im sure I'll be back to ask questions. Hoping to get to some events, just not sure which ones yet.
Regards

edwillett

Great to have you on board Jimmy and Skylark is an excellent boat with great history and track record. I have just refurbed a slightly later Gerry Ledger Crusader (3274) and can email you tye settings I ended up with after following the Tuning Guide....I sail with acrew eight of around 23stone so should be fine for you.

Jimmy Ruddiman

Hi Ed,
Great to hear there a few of us with older boats. Such a friendly class already, looking forward to my 1st event. If you could send me those settings that would be great. Venturing out tomorrow for my 1st go, if all goes well, photos will be added to the database too.

Thanks all

Overomtimistix

Hi Jimmy, my boat has a split tail arrangement on the dngly pole pull down. The two tails are lead one to each side and are operated independently. This means that both need to be let off to allow the pole to be pulled up the mast.
Dan
N3342

n12 Bottom Banner