National 12 - find out more...

sad day plus a happy day

Started by Chilli, 27 Jul 2015, 10:13

« previous - next »

Chilli

yesterday (26th july) was the last race of the summer series - i know its only July but thats the way they work round here -- sad day :(
and last night after the racing had finished me and my crew took my Int420 Express Dream apart and parceled her up on her trailer ready for her new owner to collect her -- so now I'm left with an empty mooring that will very soon be filled with a Dead Cat Bounce N12 :)
I spoke to Tom Stewart a few weeks ago and he basically sold the Dead Cat Bounce (this puddy didn't) N12 to me over the phone in less than 15minutes !!!!!! so I'm going to make contact and give my bank manager a heart attack when she finds out how much my new pride n joy is going to cost :)
here's to a winter and a lot of years in a DCB N12 :) i'm also going to be moving sailing clubs because Liverpool sailing club located at the back of Liverpool John Lennon Airport has far far better facilities than Fiddlers Ferry despite it being further away - it was swings and roundabouts tbh but being able to launch / recover at all tidal states (300yard concrete slip way) no matter whether its springs or neaps sold it to me :)
am also going to have my DCB delivered straight to the dinghy park too saves any messing about plus the sailing club is a warehouse so any work that i may need to do in time will done in comfy conditions :)
here's to a mega happy end of 2015 and beyond :)

Carbonara

Congratulations on your purchase. Good to have another N12 sailor in the North and hope to see you at one of the opens soon (Yorshire Dales is a great venue if its not too far for you 20th September).
Patrick Hamilton
N3502

Chilli

Hi Pat :)  to attend the meets at the yorkshire dales is gunna require either a house move or my crew being really generous cos i got banned last year - too many points - speeding.

am looking forward to sailing her though in due course :)  got a list of stuff as long as my arm that i want too cos i might just get a shell and then fit it out myself and then add spars n sails :)  also don't think that she'll be ready for the open in september - thinking that it will probably be a freezer event that she goes to as the first one

Carbonara

Hi
I hope your National 12 will fulfil your need for speed in future! Maybe see you at Leigh and Lowton over the winter.
cheers Patrick

Chilli

Now that's a real possibility cos L&L was one of the places that i was looking at as a new home for (chilli) my new boat.  But the cost of membership and stuff is why she will end up in LSC - L&L is about £100 a year more than LSC and its only cos Express Dream got sold for a really really good price that a new boat was ever on the cards --- i sold Express Dream about 3 months ago on the condition that i got to finish the race series at FF :)

Also am not gunna turn up at L&L still working out how not to get wet either - i'd rather do that in the mersey where no ones watching lol :)

As for fulfilling my need for speed -- maybe but i've calmed down a lot from when i was younger - part of why my Int420 went was cos it just got boring chasing the speed figures (she's got a tacktick racemaster in her) all the time - no matter where we went so it'll be nice to work out how the technology works in the N12 and then learning how to make best use of the design. 

It'll prolly be more interesting as a result too cos there's few things that can be done differently and if i had about £35k then i'd do moulds and plugs based on those but there's some simple things and the boatyard reckon that they can pull them off :)

there's some work to be done with the centre of mass and the sails which i'm gunna experiment with.  like the centre board it's shape and adding weight to it and the sails cut from lighter materials and their shapes --- i think that this boat will be like my old Beiker III Int14 in terms of its development - the rest of the boat has gone in a similar way design wise minus a kite
If i go for a self fit out then it'll be a mix of harken and spinlock - the spinlock clutches for anything that needs releasing and the harken stuff cos it rarely goes wrong.
to say i was hooked after sailing the Feeling Foolish a while back is an understatement :) just wish she had an Asymmetric but then it wouldn't be an N12 if it did :)

n12 Bottom Banner