National 12 - find out more...

baggy trousers

Started by bob the bosun, 04 Oct 2015, 10:27

« previous - next »

bob the bosun

hi all
as the proud new owner of the original baggy trousers and very confused person as to why i took on a second renovation project after beggars maid i have taken a few pics of the damage and general condition of hull right way up. the intention is to restore her to her former glory in time to sail next year on the midland circuit. so now the questions. should she have a thwart as that would give somewhere to group the control lines, they are very difficult to get at to adjust where they are. how the hell does the pivoting dagger board work as the downhaul block seems to be at right angles to the direction of pull. do the lowers need to be infinately adjustable  as the mast is controlled at deck level by a screw adjuster and therefor fixed at that point. simplifying that and the shroud tension adjustment would simplify the whole front end of the boat leaving the standar kicker, cunningham and outhaul led back to the helms area and just jib sheets and dangly pole for the crew to play with. lastly i intend to remove the damaged area on the rear port side deck and probably re deck throughout does anyone have a set of plans that i could copy as i dont think the ply will seperate from the stringers very well.seem to be having trouble attaching files any advice
bob austin mksc

Rob P

Hi bob
here is a photo of my old Baggy. Slightly different arrangement for the up and down control. you always had to stand on the top of the board to get the final few degrees.
Oh yes, and fitted a thwart when I removed the rotating daggerboard case. never regretted that.......
hope that helps - rob

bob the bosun

hi rob
that makes a whole lot of sense on both counts. i was going to fit a thwart so that i could lead the main controls back to the helm and removing the iron work on top of the board would make controlling the board a lot easier. thanks very much fot the picture should be able to work out the c/board up/down haul from thar
regards
bob austin

n12 Bottom Banner