National 12 - find out more...

N693 Caprice II

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 19 Mar 2007, 04:54

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N693 Caprice II.   Design:  , designed by: Morgan Giles

mack2

CapriceII was entrusted to me in July (2007). She had remained in the ownership of the same family since new in 1949. I have been given the original receipts and measurement certificates.
Caprice was one of six National 12's built that year by Morgan Giles, one went to sea aboard a Warship commanded by one of Morgan Giles son's another went to Lymington.
Caprice was built in 1948 and the owners  took delivery in the spring of 1949, she was launched straight out of the building shed.
The original owner tells me 'she was always a delight to sail, but never as close winded as Jack Holt's boats, though she shines of the wind, especially in a force three.'
Some of her blocks are home made using Tufnol or Teak with brass or tufnol sheaves. The Tufnol brackets holding the centreplate lifting rope on each side are taken from a DH Hornet piston engined fighter!
Caprice has her original wooden mast and boom (the boom is broken and has been replaced with another thicker section also of wood) she also has her original cotton sails although the jib needs some repair.
I will post some pictures soon.

mack2

Picture of Caprice being launched (date not known?) by original owners.

edwillett

Now for sale on ebay. Located in Gretton, Northamptonshire. Ebay pics attached.

n12 Bottom Banner