National 12 - find out more...

N1650 Smuggler

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 16 Mar 2007, 01:34

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1650 Smuggler. Design: Smuggler, designed by: Uffa Fox in 1959

beachedblastit

The daddy, I believe the 1st one, I've got one you know!
FOR SALE, on EBAY -Item NO: 160462024934

Vendor says that it needs some TLC, but it loos nice and original in the pics.
Nigel Reece
I'd rather be sailing.  

grazz

“Smuggler was offered on eBay but when there were no takers I contacted the owner direct, did a “deal”, and collected the boat from Cardiff on 20th November 2010. Smuggler does need some remedial work on the hull where the bottom planks have been repaired with glass fibre and the re-decking needs some attention. Brian Herring promises to start work on Smuggler next week so hopefully she will be ready for the 75th at Pitsford in May”

Paul Turner

paul turner

An update on the busy life of Smuggler.

Following the hull repair work under taken by Brian Herring, she then went off to Tim Gatti for further surgery and hopefully both will post some photos of the restoration done by them. Smuggler was sailed on a number of occasions at Trent Valley towards the end of last (2012) season as a training boat but also by Alan Brunton at the Vintage/Midland Area open meeting.

I finally got to sail Smuggler earlier this season, beating a Merlin and a Laser on the water (not just on handicap!). She also appeared at the first Vintage Champs at Burton SC last month (June 2013) sailed by Graham Camm and Zoe Ballantyne; I'm sure Grazz will post the odd photo ex Kevan Bloor here to prove it!

Px8)

paul turner

Hi Paul, Saw your item of 24th May on the Nat 12 site .

I would like to add to the history you have on Smuggler.

I bought it from Rowsel boat yard in the late 1970`s and sold it to a guy from Wales about 1984/5.

I live in Barnstaple, North Devon and have attached a pic of me in the Torridge at Instow .It was a surprise to learn that she was still being used.

Hope you manage to sell her .

Brian Langley

n12 Bottom Banner