National 12 - find out more...

N2302 Sou'wester

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 07 Jul 2007, 10:56

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2302 Sou'wester.  Design: Mark 12, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1963

Ian Smith

N2302 now has a new home in Devon, she has quite an interesting history.

I'm not sure how uncommon it is but she has remained in the same family ownership from new in May 1965 until February 2016 when I assumed responsibility for her - I know that may sound a bit pretentious but as she was commissioned as a 21st birthday present and remained with that person until ownership transferred to her daughter I feel that this needs to be respected.

The boat remains pretty much as built by Chippendale, no evidence of fittings being moved around, added to or removed. Still has the original mast (Proctor with diamonds), sails (by Lucas with wooden battens) and if not the original then at least a very early cover (anyone know anything about 'Renowned' covers?)

Apart from some nibbling by mice(?) along the edges of the seats and thwart the overall condition is pretty good, a month or so of fettling might see her back on the water.

I've also received a number of original documents (invoice, measurement details etc. and a paper from Ian Proctor (1/1/65) about the relative characteristics of the series from MK VIII to MK XII.

I hope to get the boat (and / or N2323) to a CVRDA event this year otherwise the Exe estuary will be their new sailing home.

I cant work out how to post an image so .....pictures at https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/138936801@N05/sets/72157664945044090/

JohnMurrell

Ian, from memory Renowned covers were made in Plymouth - I will do a bit of delving

Ian Smith

Ian Smith

Sou'wester is now sorted and ready for the water but unlikely to get wet until her owner is fixed so along with N2323 she awaits the next sailing season (or possibly a new owner.....) Anyone interested in owning a lovely original twelve can contact me on 01395 222136.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138936801@N05/albums/72157664945044090

Ian Smith

So pleased to report that Sou'wester is now back on the water. Several nice cruises on the estuary and four races - all in light winds. Results - four first places!

All good but in the longer term she will need a  home with an owner who understands these boats. Anyone interested?

Ian Smith

Sou'wester now off to a new home at Liverpool SC. Good luck to the new owners, she is a lovely boat and it will be nice to see her being used. Spectacular looking clubhouse there, may have to drop in one day.

Gilbert Gravino

Sou'Wester has been on the river Mersey for the first time on Saturday 25/08/2018! Picture attached.

Ian Smith

Nice to see her back on the water Gil, hope you get lots of lovely sailing weather together.

n12 Bottom Banner