National 12 - find out more...

N3165 First Crusade

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 23 Mar 2007, 03:10

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3165 First Crusade.  Design: Crusader, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1981
Previous boat names: Skateaway, What Me Worry?, Shadowfax, Mr Phil McAverty, Mystery, Utterley Gutted, Shadowfax.

alann

n 3165 now called first crusade and is sailing at Burghfiled sailing club
Alan

DavidG (Guest)

I had her built by Spud Rowsell, she was the second Crusader built because 3169 came off the mould first.  She originally had a rotating daggerboard, no thwart, adjustable lower shrouds and Morrison wires which were all inovative at that time.  She was called Skateaway being a mixed reference to Spud's Merlin Fadeaway and a Dire Straights track of the time!

STU W

Sailed this boat with Ian Gore at Tynemouth in 1985.
Always wondered why she was the second crusader as ill wind was 3169 but that explains it, I remember the lack of thwart it had a simular set up to some of Spuds Summerwines (merlin rockets) of the time and had a radiused brace fronm the centreboard capping down to the hull, great for getting back on a reach but no where to sit, Ian would have said that was a good thing.
Also remember it had a fillet of wood running back from the bow faird in just above the water line, very distinctive. Was called Shadowfax at this time. 
12's are for life not just for christmas.

George (Guest)

Borrowed it ... fell in love with it... bought it... now a four twelve family.....oooops!
Still residing at Burghfield and retaining current name even if it technically wasn't the first built.

Jeremy C

Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

JZ

I owned N3165 approx. 1996 to 2001. Great to see her still sailing. Called Shadowfax then. Bought here from a guy in Ripon and sailed her at Olton Mere and Ranelagh. Looks like the same dangly pole I fitted colour was a brighter blue back then.

Jeremy C

George's interpretation of the 'hanging gardens of babylon' in First Crusade during the RYA' Push the boat out day' at BSC july 2012
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Jeremy C

First crusade out over the summer.

Jeremy C

n12 Bottom Banner