National 12 - find out more...

N974 Hi-Jack

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 01 Mar 2007, 10:58

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N974 Hi-Jack.   Design: , designed by: Jack Holt

nigelf

N974 was originally owned by Peter Collyer of the Cowal Holy Loch S.C., designed and built by Jack Holt. Peter was a meticulous craftsman and "Hi-Jack" was known as "the boat with the finish". Her varnished hull was cut down each winter with fine grade wet or dry and polished to perfection. Peter took her to Westcliff-on-Sea in l954 for Burton Week and came 4th overall. She was sold on in the mid-l950s when Peter became interested in the Flying Dutchman class and built one. Peter was an Olympic trialist for the Finn Class for the l956 Olympics, one of 36 skippers from the established classes chosen. He was a superb boat builder and built a few N12s to Richard Roscoe's "Squid 2" design.

Ailsa

Peter Collyer passed away last year (2010); he
remained a fine sailor and a perfectionist to the end. My father, David Ross,
bought 'Hijack' from Peter and sailed the boat at Holy Loch; but after my
father died in 1962 Peter was aye borrowing it back. I sold the boat when our
club changed over to Merlin Rockets in the late 60s. The boat was unusual in
respect of the gunwales which were hollow, rolled and moulded into the top
plank. Unfortunately, this pièce de résistance of craftsmanship was
let down by the glues of that
period and had to be replaced.

nigelf

I was saddened to hear of Peter's passing. When I was a member of the Cowal Holy Loch SC in the mid-1950's Peter was a true friend and mentor. When my N12 1149 came up to Sandbank from the south of England by rail, slightly damaged, Peter immediately repaired it and re-varnished it for good measure, ready for me to race when I came home from university that summer (1954). I well remember him building that beautiful gunwhale. I think I am correct in recalling that until then, the class rules allowed only a half-inch rubbing strake. Peter wasn't going to be satisfied with a simple extension from the top plank! He was worried about an unnecessary weight penalty and built it beautifully, hollow. Several of us, including myself, extended the gunwhales of our boats but none as neatly as Peter had done. He was a master craftsman. I last met up with him (and Alastair, his brother) in the early 1990's. By then the switch to Merlin Rockets had faded away and Peter told me the club was back into handicap racing.

Ailsa

Hi Nigel, fascinated to hear this detail. Yes, its been a year since I checked into this site.
....do you have any photos of the CHLSC from that period?
The Club is fairly strong these days with about 15 Pipers and 20 Flying Fifteens.
Euan
euan_g_ross@hotmail.com

nigelf

Euan. Yes, I have loads of photographs from the 1950s taken at Sandbank. Unfortunately they are very small contact prints and the negatives are long since gone. I will try scanning what I have and will send something to you. Could you email me with name and address - I assume it is Euan Ross but I have no address! Nigel Fordyce. email:  wnfordyce@btinternet.com

nigelf

Euan. My efforts to scan the old CHLSC photos have failed miserably but I have them ready to post to you for perusal and return, if you would like them. I also have a few notes about those in several of the photos. I just need your address by email for posting. Nigel.

edwillett

Courtesy of Nigel Fordyce, a picture of Peter Collyer sailing Hi-Jack.

Nigel Fordyce (Guest)

Since the foregoing posts my email address has changed to: [mail=wnfordyce@gmail.com]wnfordyce@gmail.com[/mail]. If anyone wants to make contact about 1950s N12 sailing on the Clyde or about any of the skippers from those days. please get in touch. Nigel. ex-1149 and 3535.

n12 Bottom Banner