National 12 - find out more...

Main Menu

N1908

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 08 Jul 2007, 10:02

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1908 . Design: , designed by:  in

mark.korsten

I currently own  this boat (Canberra, Australia) and can provide a bit more of the history if anyone is interested in updating the database. Feel free to contact me directly on mark.korsten@pacificoperations.net, +61 411 317 218

mark.korsten

Some phots attached below.

Mike Liggett

Wow! This must be one of the furthest "from home" 12's.   Did you export her yourselves or was she already resident in Oz.  I note that there are no details on her history as to design or builder so she may well have been built in Oz.  Note in one of the pictures what looks like a spinnaker - Nationals do not have spinnakers!  In the other picture she seems to have a daggerboard - a boat of this period would normally have had a pivoting centerplate.  Daggerboards were trialed much later but were eventually outlawed. Your mainsail is interesting as it would appear to have a few full length battens, again these are not allowed.  However as you are unlikely to come accross any other 12's and you are just enjoying sailing her none of these points matter!  Would be interesting to know more about her.

mark.korsten

Hi Mike
Thanks for the time and effort in your response.
It seems the plot is thickening in reconstructing the life of N1908. I can confirm that she definitely has a spinnaker, daggerboard (with huge lump of lead) and 3 full length battens. All these features look to be original fit to my relatively novice eye. so I suspect she was built in Aust where departures from the N12 racing rules would not have been so relevant with no other N12s to race against.
I have written to the previous owner who has advised me that he purchased it from a man on the Eastern shore of the Derwent River in Hobart, Tasmania; and that man's mother raced it locally with some success.
I have also written to the Sandy Bay Yacht Club where she was last registered as "Quaiche"(?) - hopefully some more details will emerge....perhaps even some early phots.
Will keep posting more details as they come in. Will also post a few more technical photos on the weekend which might help someone pinpoint the designer or builder.
Cheers and thanks.
Mark

n12 Bottom Banner