National 12 - find out more...

N2969 Smokescreen

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 05 Mar 2007, 07:27

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2969 Smokescreen. Design: Pipedream, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1976

grazz

Pictures from the NTOA archive

Grebesailor

This boat was owned by Chris Clarke, when he joined Chipstead SC in 1998, up until he built 3452 (Illusion 21). Chris did a lot to lighten her, she was de-keeled, sprayed, had some carbon reinforcement and given an up to date rig.

She looked the business. She was sold to another former Chipstead member who, I believe, still has her. I understood some time ago that she was unsailed and available for sale - if so, she is one of the best inland AC boats available, I would suggest.

Neil Pulman (Guest)

I repaired this boat last year for its current owner Julie Tonkinson of South Windemere Sailing club. Sailed her last year in a few races and generally during the summer. The repairs were to overcome a split in the hull where the mast foot is.

This week my daughter and a  friend have started sailing her after a year of refusing to get in, as it was TOO TIPPY. Now they love it and i cant get them out of it.

marek

Hi
I sold Smokie to Julie in about 2005 having bought her from Chris Clarke at Chipstead SC.  I sold her as babies forced me to curtail my sailing - lovely boat (she's the one in the picture for the Pipedream design)
I have now bought another Pipedream N3070 which I'm currently refurbishing
Marek

OKBob

I have just brought "Smokie" home from SWSC where I have watched her sailed over the last couple of years.  She is in need of much TLC and I have yet to give her a proper survey. She is in deperate need of re decking so I will see what else is to be done when  I take off the remains of the decks.  I have refurbed a few dinghies in the past but never attempted a complete redeck so I may be popping up on the forum for advice from time to time next summer.  I hope to have her back to her former glory and racing at South Windermere by summer 2011.
Any more history would be much appreciated.
Bob

roger lepla

This boat was sailed by Ron Stuart in the early 1980's and went to several Burton Weeks. The home club was Northampton Sailing club. In 1984 it was sold and left the club.

Richard Bailey

This is Smokescreen. We had her from new at Northampton Sailing Club until she was sold to Ron Stuart. She was originally white before acquiring a dark green 'Pipedream' stripe. She was a lovely boat, very good in light winds, particularly after acquiring Bouncer's Burton-winning jib. She won opens in 1978 at Northampton and Ulley and also Bassenthwaite and Derwent Weeks. She also finished 7th on Black Tuesday at Tynemouth Burton, Week in 1979, rounding the first weather mark about tenth and then surviving to the gybe mark behind John Royce before two capsizes and lots of nose-dives. She always carried Alverbanks and in those days a stiffer than normal Needlespar 28.

angus

I am now the owner of Smokescreen. I bought her off Bob Beath who has redecked her. I plan to make some further modifications but hopefully she will be on the water beforer too long. Some photos will follow once I have her out of winter storage.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner