National 12 - find out more...

N2820 Anticipation

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 02 Jul 2008, 03:23

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2820 Anticipation. Design: Anticipation, designed by: Jo Richards in 1974

biggles

I was at University at Nottingham 1 year behind Jo. When he designed and built Anticipation he was in his second year at the university.
The boat was penned using the door off his college residence room as a drawing board and was built on a concrete pad that resembled the base for a cricket net on the grass outside Cripps hall of residence at the University. It was built at the end of the summer term I guess in the couple of weeks after end of year exams and before the end of term. During the build a tube could be seen protruding from the firstfllor kitchen window of the hall of residence from which steam would be exhausting - Jo was steaming the gunnels and stringers using the student kitchen wall kettle to generate the steam!
As I recall the construction method was to build a central spine comprising the centreboard case, hog and stem with several frames to get the desired cross section. This was place upside down on the concrete pad and then planked with the planks joine by wire and then glass tapped ALA mirror dinghy.
Unfortunately Anticipation was built from exterior grade ply - Jo could not afford marine ply I think and I doubt if she survived too well.

Somewhere I have som pictures of Jo sailing Anticipaation at Trent Valley and possibly Beeston clubs. If I can find them I will post these.

Alan Heson

n12 Bottom Banner