National 12 - find out more...

N2679 Dolly Blotter

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 28 May 2008, 02:22

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2679 Dolly Blotter. Design: Paper Dart, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1972

edwillett

Advertised on eBay June 2014. Needs rescued! Located in Holyhead. eBay ad says will be scrapped if not sold....

edwillett

Now part of the Willett fleet resident in the dinghy park of Cramond BC after being relayed from Holyhead to Edinburgh by Brian Herring, Angus Beyts (hull) and Marcus Wheel (mast)....thanks guys! Undergoing cosmetic restoration to get her sailing again and hopefully entice others to "sail a Twelve".....

edwillett

To bring the story of N2679 up to date......Angus Beyts kindly trailed the hull up to me from Brian Herrings workshop last summer. The mast followed some time later thanks Marcus Wheel. Once I had everything in one place it was time to see what was there, or rather what wasnt and the following pics show her being assembled, probably for the first time in a long time, early last Autumn.

edwillett

At this stage the thwart had been removed for restoration and soaking in teak oil...and apart from a damaged boom, everything appears to be there and there is no reason why N2679 cant be returned to life as a competitive Club racer and a boat for our Cadets to learn in. Just need to do something about that awful paint.....

edwillett

...and so; having finished my Crusader 88 (3274) my friendly furniture painter is now beautifying N2679 in his spare time and returning her colours back to that of the original gel coat. I'm looking forward to refitting her in a week or so with all the teak nicely revived and getting her back on the water in June 2015.

edwillett

August 2015 and N2679 is about to be relaunched. What started out as asimple tidy up ended up with a complete restoration, but she's looking good now and hopefully goes as well and will entice more people into the class.
Here with the rig up, sporting the 1979 vintage sails measured by Tim Tomlinson.

edwillett

And the next few shots show N2679 after sorting the inetrior and all the control lines....nice simple, clean interior!

edwillett

edwillett

last one....next to go sailing!

edwillett

And finishing touch with name graphic from www.funkymonkeyboatnames.co.uk

edwillett

To bring the story of Dolly Blotter up to date...she was relaunched in August 2015 and on her first outing in a light wind club race took line honours helmed by Alex Tulloch. She has subsequently been sailed in a variety of conditions, highlighting a To Do list which which has been steadily sorted out...just leaking tank hatches, bailers and transom flaps to sort now! The pictures below show her being sailed at Cramond Boat Club on 30th August 2015...giving as planned some of our cadets the opportunity to experience N12 sailing!

simonf

Hi
Fabulous looking boat - particularly enjoy the minimalist interior!
I am about to start a similar process on N2869 - a grey and white(..ish) dart that I acquired a couple of years ago and has been stored until I finished my Solo (133) - I have a couple of questions for you if that's ok:
1. I see you removed the gunwales - presumably you stripped off the old varnish, revarnished and put them back on - mine are attached by screws throuigh the grp 'lip' leaving some nasty screw-ends sticking out below - is this normal?
2. How did you get the colour back on the gel coat - if a re-paint, what did you use?
Hope you can help
best rgds
simonf

simonf

Sorry - it is in fact 2689 that I own...
Just been to look at her at bottom of neighbour's garden and gunwales not as I remember them - screws go through join between deck and hull and end not visible - must have dreamt that!
Still need replacing mind..pics on database

sf

edwillett

Hi Simon
2689 looks very similar to how 2679 looked when i started her.
Answers...1.The teak gunwhales were just unscrewed from the boat, sanded down and coated with Danish Teak Oil, as was the thwart. 2. The gel coat was too far gone to restore and there were areas of damage to the hull that had to be filled so the whole hull was repainted (in a spray booth) with colours as close to original as possible. Foils were stripped with paint remover, and repainted by hand. Tiller and extension were sanded down and revarnished.
Hope that helps.
Any further questions just shout...or email!
Cheers
Ed

n12 Bottom Banner