N3392 Gravlax

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 15 Mar 2007, 10:18

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3392 Gravlax. Design: One Off, designed by: Hugh Welbourn in 1993

edwillett

For sale on eBay April 2013

Text from ad below.

FOR SALE IS A GOOD NATIONAL 12 HULL - A DEVELOPMENT OF THE CRUSADER DESIGN BY HUGH WELBOURN CONSTRUCTED FROM FOAM CARBON AND KEVLAR BY BILL GREEN OF LYMINGTON, BETTER KNOWN FOR HIS RACE WINNING OFFSHORE YACHTS.  AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE PHOTOS, SHE WAS BEING CONVERTED FROM A SINGLE BOTTOMED BOAT TO A DOUBLE BOTTOM BUT THE PROJECT WAS ABANDONED DUE TO A CHANGE IN PERSONAL CIRCUMSTANCES AND LATER A DECISION TO RACE VINTAGE DINGHIES INSTEAD. 

THE HULL IS ABSOLUTELY UNDAMAGED - COULD DO WITH A RESPRAY AS PART OF THE PROJECT, NEEDS SOME MINOR FINISHING ON THE TRANSOM AND THE PLY DECK IS SOUND BUT NEEDS STRIPPING (NO DELAMINATION) AND RE-VARNISHING.  THEN SHE NEEDS TO BE FULLY FITTED OUT. 

IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT PROJECT TO REPLACE A BAD HULL USING THE HARDWARE TRANSFERRED ACROSS.  SHE COMES WITH A CENTREBOARD, RUDDER, COVER, ROAD TRAILER AND TROLLEY (TYRES AREN'T GREAT), AND A PROCTOR MAST BUT NO BOOM.

THE BOAT WAS QUICK AND GREAT FUN TO SAIL SO SHE HAS GREAT POTENTIAL....! 

LOCATED AT DUNSFOLD, 10 MILES SOUTH OF GUILDFORD, SURREY.  BUYER TO COLLECT

edwillett

For sale on Apollo Duck website....nice to see it has been restored. Advert reads..
Took on as a restoration project in 2013. Boat has been fully restored from a bare hull with a mast. The following have been replaced:
-Stripped decks and Epoxy sealed
-2-pack Varnish
-All ropes
-All blocks and hardware
This boat also comes with a unique combi-trailer and working top cover.
Excellent boat, handles well and is very fast!- Reluctant sale due to other commitments.

xchurchN12

Double bottom to single AC boat Conversion... 3392 has now had a major overhaul. And hopefully restored to its former glory or maybe even better I believe.  The double bottom conversion done by a previous owner simply didn't work. The floor was too high and made the boat very uncomfortable to sail. And added a lot of weight to an otherwise very light hull. So the plan was to Convert her back to be a Competative AC boat.

It seemed a real shame to waste such a good hull. So over winter I totally stripped the entire boat back to its original bare bones. Every bit of wood on the deck was sanded and striped back to bare wood.

The hull is a light weight Glass foam sandwich and carbon rienforment, full carbon Centerboard case, and various kevlar reinforcement in key areas.

The deck is made of sapele ply with sapele gunwals and trim.

The rear tank has been totally rebuilt, epoxyed internally and filleted externally to give a seamless look, a new thwart has been Constructed from glassed cedar with hidden carbon rienforcement. A unique Center board capping has been made from scratch out of cedar to keep the weight down. And to match the orginal cedar Centerboard and rudder.

All wood was then epoxy coated with west systems clear. And 2 pack varnish.

The hull has been sanded and repainted in a 2 pack blue.

The inside has been stripped sanded, repainted, new bailers fitted back in the original holes.

A rather fetching cedar transom beam made from strip cedar, to finish off the new rear tank.

80% new fittings, new cleats, all new ropes, new rudder stock, carbon tiller and extention.

Matching blue Proctor double taper carbon boom on the way!

I think I got a I little ingrossed in the project and spent way to much time and money on it but hey, it would be great to hear anyone's thoughts.

n12 Bottom Banner