National 12 - find out more...

N1398 Sparky

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 20 Mar 2007, 06:10

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1398 Sparky. Design: Mark 4, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1953

edwillett

For sale on eBay and NTOA listing November 2014. Ad reads as follows.
"Gail is a beautiful glued clinker National 12, sail number 1398 in very good condition. Every time we take her out people wander over to check her out, whether they are experts on the class or just admiring passers-by (even in the petrol station stooping for fuel on the way to the lakes!).This is a development class boat and so the design has evolved over the years...we think that aesthetically, something really peaked here, looks-wise everything just works.
All the woodwork was professionally refurbished for this summer, with hull and deck sanded to bare wood and finished with 6 coats of international yacht varnish. All interior woodwork has been made good and either re-varnished or painted with international yacht paint. All fittings, floatation bags etc. have been checked and fixed up as necessary and she has only been out a couple of times since so is totally ready to go for next season.....everything works, nothing is missing.......and what's more all fittings are either original or contemporary so she looks right from all angles.
The trailer has also been refurbished, I have replaced the wheel bearings and invested in a spare wheel so she should be good for any journey even if you want to cover the country or take her abroad. I re-sprayed the road trailer in 2012 and it's still looking pretty smart in British racing green. The launching trolley is also in good condition
The sails are quite old and have some staining as you can see in the pictures, however they are structurally sound and quite good enough for normal use.
Gail has been fitted with a centre mainsheet for easier single-handing but I have still got the brass track/traveller for aft sheeting if required (I can re-fit this if you like too) I also have the original wooden boom and fittings if you want total authenticity
She is for sale because,according to my wife  "we are gonna need a bigger boat" http://youtu.be/8gciFoEbOA8
1398 would have been very quick in her day and can still out run some modern boats in the right conditions. She was stored in a barn for 15 years before I bought her and has had light use, dry storage and regular maintenance from me (professional IBTC trained boat-builder)  since 2002. So she has had a bit of an easy life and is in much better condition than you would normally find for a racing boat of this vintage."

edwillett

edwillett

edwillett

3513SL

Now for sale, in Gosport. Photos attached.

N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

n12 Bottom Banner