National 12 - find out more...

N3352 Betty Bounder

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 05 Feb 2007, 12:51

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3352 Betty Bounder.   Design: Bounder, designed by: Neville Green in 1990
Original boat name: Bounder.

THG

Sold on ebay August 06
THG

willothewisp123

Hi All,

this is good isn't it! Nice to have history on the boats.

Well, the Bounder is alive and well and has moved from her previous owner on Anglesey - who found her a bit too "tippy" - to Dee sailing club on the Wirral. She is the only 12 at the club but the older sailors are most approving - as are the International Canoe sailors.

She is a delight to sail - having worked out that the easiest way on and off her is via the transom.

I shall post some pics when my daughters and I start racing her this season.

Pete Hannon

willothewisp123

Bounder was sold today to Tim Lee and Kirsty Bel.

They are intending to sail her in the Huddersfield area on pond water.

tim

Hi all. Boat was renamed to Betty Bounder as she is a lady!!!. Really happy with the way she sails especially downwind. The built in tanks makes her extremely easy to empty when we go for a swim there’s hardly any space for the water to sit. .The tanks are also done very professionally and look suburb.

Full repaint with 2pac on the hull. Resin seal and 2pac varnish on the decks to make her look like a lady again. The inside was only touched up, I just ran out of time. The colour reflects my crews (girlfriend)

tim

Some more pics of her in differant stages. These links will take you to the folders containing loads of pics.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Dougal/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v460/Dougal/betty%20bounder%20decent

tim

Crusader 3244

The plum is a nice colour. Care and attention shows in the results. Nice pics, Tim. Mine needs that kind of TLC.
Chris, 3244

tim

Cheers. There was a time well many times when I thought, " what have i done, why did i start" lol . Was good to see the bare wood and the construction thou.
The colour was part of the bargin that " r lass" would learn to sail in her.

Tim

tim (Guest)

Long term overseas deployment regrettably forced sale of Betty Bounder 05 Aug 09.

cwp3352

Hi all, Carl here - new owner of Betty Bounder, bought from Tim this week and now with her new family.
Thanks Tim for being really helpfull spending so much time to go through all the rigging details, as we are very much nubbies - really appreciate your generosity of time/experience.
We are going to be brave and take her down with us on holidays to Isle Of Wight (visiting my Dad) this next week (w/c 8th Aug), so if there is anyone on the Island who can spare us some time for more practical demos :)

Carl.

Its
great to see Bounder looking so good

I bought it off Neville in I
think 2002/3 to sail with my son up in Whitby

He never took to sailing two
man boats, liked his topper to much

It was very fast in light airs
and I regretted sell it :'(

Hope it serves you well :)

Andy

Nev

Nice to see Bounder looking so good.
Bounder was designed to carry weight without significantly increasing wetted surface area.
This was achieved but had a negative effect on marginal planing and perhaps a good effect on light weather performance.
The tanks added to the weight but not significantly and contributed to an attractive boat that is very comfortable to sail.

If anyone is interested I have been working on a new N12 design which has a double bottom and is suitable for home building in wood.
The concept is to buid 'inside out'. That is start with the floor, case and bulkheads and lastly fit the skin. The benifit is a simple build jig and an almost complete rigid boat as it is seperated from the jig.
The design process uses Google Sketchup which is a free 3D modelling package. I have a document which describes the process for designing a N12. If you are interested in designing your own 12 send me an email ([mail=nevgreen@gmail.com]nevgreen@gmail.com[/mail]).

n12 Bottom Banner