National 12 - find out more...

N2300 Duodecimal

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 06 Nov 2007, 09:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2300 Duodecimal. Design: Mark 12, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1963
Previous boat names: Trufflehunter, Planks Again!.

ken goddard

N.2300, "Trufflehunter" was launched by her owner, John Holttum, in April 1965. She sailed her first Burton Week that year at Thorpe Bay, but did not distinguish herself. In the summer of 1966 John and Trufflehunter won at a number of venues in East Anglia and won two days at North-West Norfolk Week.
It was reported towards the end of 1966 that John had sold the boat to John Hansen of Royal Harwich Y.C. and the latter sailed the boat at Burton Week of 1967, securing a 4th place in one of the races. John Hansen sailed Trufflehunter at the Burton of 1969. The boat appeared again at Burton Week in 1972 in the hands of P.J.Mayhew.
Trufflehunter appeared next in the NTOA Newletter in 1976, having been bought by John Goodman of Burton Sailing Club, later Commodore of that club. In 1978 the boat was owned by A. Aldridge of Stapenhill, Burton upon Trent. 
In 1979, the boat appeared on the register of boats owned by Trent Cllege S.C., Long Eaton, Derbyshire. In 1985 Trent Cllege sold off all 7 National 12's that it owned and was bought by this author, who still owns and sails her. The first thing that I did was to rename her! Trufflehunter was not a name of any interest to me so I called her "Duodecimal", which the O.E.D. describes as 'counting by twelves'.

I had bought the boat to take on holiday with me to sail in Christchurch harbour, but when I got her home I found that she was in very poor condition. The main problem was the centreboard case. Because the school had left her lying on grass without a launching trolley, damp had crept up the case and behind the cheek pieces, through which the centreboard bolt passes and, out of sight, the plywood had completely rotted away. The renovation of this and all the other problems, took a year or two.
When I finally got her seaworthy and sailing I took part in a few club races and those of the Vintage Wing, which was then being formed. From 2000 onwards I sailed regularly in the events of the Witchcraft Bailer Series, which I much enjoyed, and competed for 9 consecutive years.
I have found the Proctor Mk.12 design very pleasant to sail, with no significant vices. She planes well and goes well to windward. I never did particularly well in the Bailer Series, mainly I think, because of rather ancient sails. I could never make a case for buying a totally new suit amongst all the other household priorities!
I am now back into repairs again! Duodecimal shifted on her trailer during an appaling journey to the 2008 Frensham Ponds Vintage Open Meeting and has sprung a couple of leaks. Together with a failure of the glue used in the 1985 centreboard repairs, I have a number of leaks there to deal with. Nevertheless I intend to keep Duodecimal as long as I can, as a reminder of happy sailing days.
Ken Goddard, January 2009  

ken goddard

This is an image of Duodecimal at the 70th Anniversary Regatta at Pitsford in 2006

ken goddard

It is sad for me to report that Duodecimal, N.2300 has been sold (duodecimal system = counting by twelves). She had a happy childhood, was badly neglected in her late teens, was saved from a near-death experience and restored to good health by me, over nearly a 30-year period. Her continued progress has been taken over by Chris Veal of Trent Valley Sailing Club - look out for them!  
Ken Goddard

ken goddard

Although I reported that Duodecimal had been bought by Chris Veal at Trent Valley in 2013, unfortunately due to other commitments Chris decided he would be unable to sail her. Fortunately Chris's uncle Allen Brunton, of Amble, Northumberland, a Twelve sailor of great skill in the 1960's, stepped in and took over the boat. She was last seen on my trailer heading north to Allen's home in the autumn of 2014.
Ken Goddard (sadly now boatless)

malcolmcjames

Photo of N2300 'Trufflehunter' alongside N2515 'Maxwell's Demon' on the club lawn at Burton SC in 1975 - N12 open meeting of that year. Trufflehunter had recently been purchased by John Goodman (from Royal Harwich I think) and her hull was painted a sort of duck egg blue colour. John Goodman can actually be seen walking behind the boat towards the changing rooms. Richard Watson and Wendy Shreeve are busy rigging N2515 on the right. All of the structures in this image are long gone!

n12 Bottom Banner