National 12 - find out more...

N672 Planet

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 26 Mar 2007, 02:48

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N672 Planet.  Design: , designed by: Jack Holt

Richard

I was given Planet by a lady in Christchurch in 1989 she was the second owner. She had owned Planet from about a year old. I gave it a major restoration and saild it at several open meetings :- Trent Valley,Henley,Yorkshire Ouse and Earlswood Lake as well a Salcombe. Quite slow off wind it felt like sailing in a groove. Up wind it was quite quick.
I will add pictures when I can find some.

chris b

I bought Planet from Richard and enjoyed sailing her mostly with the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association but did attend a few Vintage 12 events. I acquired an original set of cotton sails for her. We did find it on the cramped size compared to our vintage Merlin but it worked well with my daughter as crew (she's small!) I sold her after about three years to a sailing instructor on Roadford lake in Cornwall a few years ago and I believe he was looking to sell her recently.
I replaced a couple of ribs that were broken and causing a bad leak; the boat was very dry and in good condition when I sold her.

chris b

Pllanet sailing at Shearwater, Wiltshire

Interested Party

Planet has now moved from Cornwall back to Wiltshire/Gloucestershire border. 
She will be sailed by my son Chris and myself, when he lets me!  And when we are not sailing my 1959 Merlin Rocket, at South Cerney Sailing Club near Cirencester. 
The only National 12 in the village....And the oldest boat in the club.
Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins <br />N12 - Planet 672 -1948 (Holt modified 500 series)<br />N12 - Spider 2523 - 1971 (Spider) <br />N12 - Sparkle 2383 - 1967 (Starfish)

clarksimon

Steve - not the only one - got 3375 and 3413 at Whitefriars - have a third somewhere in the barn and will fin it and my Merlin later this year after Contender Worlds !!!

Michael4

Steve has passed Planet over to me, she's  now in Fishbourne near Chichester awaiting a winter of remedial work. Hoping to get her ready for the spring and sail from CYC as the oldest boat in the dinghy park. Will post some pics of her current condition and key steps in her revitalsiation in due course.
Michael Herridge

Michael4

A couple of pictures of Planet. I must emphasise that they are somewhat flattering...

DSC01410 by dralowid, on Flickr
DSC01404 by dralowid, on Flickr
And that stem isn't raked, fear not, it is vertical! 
Michael

Michael

Michael4

Apologies, not got the measure of posting pics here yet. Will sort it in due course.

Michael4

DSC01539 by dralowid, on Flickr
New rib sections steamed and clamped. Clamps courtesy Lidl, thin nosed 'Moles' are really useful when working on ribs.

DSC01489 by dralowid, on Flickr
Modern day steamer

DSC01579 by dralowid, on Flickr
All broken ribs that I can get to have now either been replaced or had scarfed sections let in. I've then laminated another on top of those that run along the centreboard running out approx three planks to stiffen the old girl up. They will be hidden by floor boards. All the screws that I have been able to get to holding ribs to hog/keel crumbled into nothingness and have been replaced with s/bronze.

DSC01581 by dralowid, on Flickr
At least the boat is strong enough now to be strung up in the garage while the rest of the fleet returns home for winter maintainance. I've been generously given another wooden mast which will be handy but the planks will be the next job. There is too much daylight to be seen!

Michael4

Michael4

DSC01750 by dralowid, on Flickr

DSC01749 by dralowid, on Flickr

DSC01743 by dralowid, on Flickr

Don't look to closely, I will re work the paintwork once she has taken up. I plan to put her on a half tide mooring for a week or so and see how it goes.

Has anyone got a cotton jib with an intact luff wire and 'narrow' ie approx 7.5 inch seams?

n12 Bottom Banner