National 12 - find out more...

N3162 Bicycle Clips

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 13 Feb 2007, 04:30

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3162 Bicycle Clips.  Design: Baggy Trousers, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1980
Previous boat names: Bicycle Clips, Wicked, prior to reverting to Bicycle Clips.

moomin

Having been fully "pimped" by the previous owner Bicycle Clips is is currently testing out the skill of her new helm at Leigh and Lowton SC, I think we're starting to understand each other now! I'm loving being back in a 12 after crewing one as a kid, and it's putting the same stupid grin on my face.
Hope to bring her down to Northampton for the event in November and possible Ripon and Yeadon if I can persuade someone to sit in the front end of her.

Cheers
Gareth
N3162 Bicycle Clips

moomin

Eventually managed to get a photo of Bicycle Clips on the water. Pre start roll tack at the New Year's Day pursuit race at Leigh and Lowton. Good day's racing finshing 10th out of 67. the perfect hangove cure!

Gareth

Gareth

A Christmas present for Bicycle Clips

Gareth

ifoxwell

We have bought Bicycle clips and she is now sailing on the Medway in Kent.
So far its been eventful, but fun.

Ian and Hannah

ifoxwell

We are thoroughly enjoying our time sailing Clips... and everyone we meet tells us how good a boat she has always been so i wondered if some of you that know the boat can fill in some of her history for us.
Regards
Ian and Hannah

ifoxwell

Copy of a reply from Andy Mck in the main discussion board
John Sears first had her on the river in Nottingham both at NSC and Trent Valley. He sailed her there with his then wife sarah for quite a few years. They were the boat to beet in a breeze, having many very close battles with Tony Edwards sailing Gillespie which we used to watch with fascination as kids. I had the chance to crew for John a few times during this time. the boat was sold to another member who never had the same success when John bought Simply Red. It then disappeared for a while, to reappear with Steve Norbury a bit later. Steve was just about the quickest boat at the Llandudno Nats, which is where the iconic picture of bicycle clips was taken. He had similar issues about keeping her upright at that time. He then had her faired an repainted to take a mould off her, from which the Ridge baggys were built. He then went onto win the nats in one of these. I bought clips off him when at uni and sailed her for a couple of years until the money ran out, making a huge jump in performance, but never quite being consistent enough due to lack of time and too many pies. I sold her in about '94 to Chris Barnes, who is the brother of "basher" barnes of L5000, and now B14 fame. I lost track of her after that and have only just come back to 12's myself. Glad to see her going so well still. She is still my fave 12. 
I think there have been a few mods over the years, the centreboard case was always a bit weak to bashes with feet etc, have did have the floor sheathed. I think the part rear tank went at some point.

Andy

ifoxwell

This weekend... the old girl is still going strong

ifoxwell

Clips doing what she does best... putting a smile on our face!
Ian and Hannah

UnwantedGuest

Just bought this lovely boat from Gareth Caldwell, and will join the growing fleet at midland sailing club!

Matt Smith
<br /><br />Proud Owner of N3162 - Bicycle Clips<br />

UnwantedGuest

Just found a few pictures of Clips that were taken a few weeks after I bought her and thought I should post them on here, all are me, but with my dad helming in a lot of wind...

UnwantedGuest

UnwantedGuest

Red Hot Pudding

Bicycle Clips For Sale. Price reduced for quick sale as the indoor storage space is needed ASAP for a 420.

n12 Bottom Banner