National 12 - find out more...

N2957 Punkawallah

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 14 Jun 2008, 03:27

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2957 Punkawallah. Design: Pipedream, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1976

Eric 3344

chopper

i used to race against punkawalla in the late 80s at king george sailing club it liked the light stuff

Peter R (Guest)

I, used to sail Punkawallah at Trent Valley and then King George in the eighties. I loved her and still miss her.  Fantastic speed in light airs compared with everything else, but then again, I had a bright and light crew, oh, and not so much around my middle back then.  Punka came second at Champs when she was built, sailed by that genious, Nigel (the rest of his name is in her name, along with a self appraisal).

John Sears

Sadly Punkawallah was seriously damaged racing at Trent Valley's open meeting in May. She is currently awaiting repair while I haggle with a recalcitrant insurance company who cannot understand that if you own a boat for 26 years you want it repaired, not written off. However she has had a great life, living in my garage most of the time but making guest outings for special occasions. She is still competitive if conditions are right for her. My daughter Catherine & I managed to win the club regatta slow fleet at Notts County last year. At the class 75th anniversary she finished all the blowy races before finishing 4th in the pursuit race after an epic battle to hold off Punkarella sailed by Graham Bailey.
Apart from the damaged bits she still looks the same as the picture above with the orginal "Starsky & Hutch" stripe and name.

Mark Selinger

I owned Punkahwallah from about 1978 to 1981 buying from Nigel who had not got round to building me the new Pipedream I wanted. She was a fantastic inland boat but always overweight. Nigel took some weight out for me and I competed in and around Nottingham with moderate success. I replaced her with a newer lighter boat but it was never as quick. I'm pleased to hear that John Sears is stil sailing her - his father taught me as a junior doctor and I have much to thank him for.

Peter Rowe (Guest)

So there you have it.  Nearly.  Only Nigel left to remember this beatiful looking boat and has seemingly forgotten that he once owned her.  I couldn't believe my luck when I bought her from Mark and new she was going to a good home with John.  How wrong can you be !?! Shame that the old gal's had a mishap.  Happens with age.  Get well soon.

John Sears

Punkawallah is fully repaired now, thanks to Nigel at Paintcraft. One side is shiny, the other nicely conditioned by 37 years of use. She is back in her usual resting place, hanging under the garage roof awaiting her first event.

smilie

That's brillaint news John are you planning to bring to the first 4 plank event at Milton Keynes SC on the 14th of June?
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

John Sears

Punkawallah had her first outing since the repairs at TVSC last weekend. A succesful day in which Catherine & I managed to win all 3 races. No problems experienced so all is well now.

n12 Bottom Banner