National 12 - find out more...

N2808 Wild Oats

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 12 Mar 2007, 05:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2808 Wild Oats.  Design: Aftermath 2, designed by David Mathews in 1972
Boat written off - February 2002

Ken Goddard

"Wild Oats" was built by David Mathews, a Trent Valley member, to his own Aftermath design, N.2604, which was very succesful. The first owner was Paul Turner and a later owner was John Murrell. By the 1990's the boat had been brought back to Trent Valley by a Long Eaton man, for his son. Unfortunately the son was not interested on sailing and the boat was left lying around and rapidly deteriorated. I bought the boat in 2002(?) noting that although the boat was a write-off, it had a good mast and a lot of useful fittings, which I subsequently sold. The mast was used on N.2300 for a year and is now destined for N.2647. The boat was burnt at a Guy Fawkes night around 2002 within a few weeks of my purchasing her.

Ken Goddard
N.2300

paul turner

This was the second Aftermath boat from David Mathews and initally she didn't measure but after the judicious use of some car body filler she was cleared by the eagle-eyed Harry Dalby. Initally she had no transom flaps as I thought she would be so stable these would be unnecessary but the retro fit was soon in place! Being of a certain colour with a tendency to nose dive, she was soon referred to locally as the "yellow submarine". Won a few pots/opens and then sold her to A N Other at Up River for £1,100, and bought N2810 (a Cheshire Cat) instead from Mike Perry (which I absolutely HATED). Heard no more of Wild Oats until Ken brought her down to TVSC in a very sorry state and she was put out of her misery.

ken goddard

From Ken Goddard
Re: Wild Oats and a slight correction, I didn't bring the boat to Trent Valley. It was brought by a schoolboy who lived in Long Eaton, who had been given the boat by his father. The boy completely ignored the boat and left it to rot without a cover. The hull was far too far gone when I bought the boat (which I did for the mast, elvstrom bailers etc) and burning was the only realistic course of action. 
Ken Goddard

n12 Bottom Banner