National 12 - find out more...

N2859 Dogmatic

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 02 Jul 2008, 03:23

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2859 Dogmatic. Design: Greyhound, designed by: Tim Tomlinson in 1974

Dave&dave(current owners) (Guest)

For details and current restoration of dogmatic please consult our new blog at:
dogmatic2859.blogspot.com
The boat is currently residing at Bury Lake in Hertfordshire.

JohnMurrell

Looking at the old class handbooks, she has always been called Dogmatic.
The handbooks from 1975 - 1978 list the owner as I A Rice (he was an association member) and I believe sailed at either Northampton or Middle Nene. In 1979 the boat changed to G J Oxley of Halifax. My 1980 handbook is missing but in 1981 she is listed as being owned by Cheltenham College SC and the last Handbook I have which still listed owners is the 1984 one which again shows Cheltenham as the owner.

Dave.blakesley

Dogmatic is a 1975 National 12 built by amateur builder Tim Tomlinson to his Greyhound design. There were in total 5 Greyhound boats constructed between 1974 and 1975, of which Dogmatic is the third.

The early part of Dogmatics History was provided by John Murrell of the National 12 Class Assocition, the rest was sourced by us, mostly by asking around. John Says: Looking at the old class handbooks, she has always been called Dogmatic.

The handbooks from 1975 - 1978 list the owner as I A Rice (he was an association member) and I believe sailed at either Northampton or Middle Nene. In 1979 the boat changed to G J Oxley of Halifax. My 1980 handbook is missing but in 1981 she is listed as being owned by Cheltenham College SC and the last Handbook I have which still listed owners is the 1984 one which again shows Cheltenham as the owner.

The history of Dogmatic from where we picked up begins with St Clement Danes School in Hertfordshire, where she was purchased as a school sailing boat by the headmaster at the time Peter Conway. There it was frequently sailed by Phil Cobby who maintained her in his lunch times. Phil resprayed the original orange hull white using his dad's car automotive garage (circa '95) which is the colour it is atm.

After being owned by the school there is a slight hazy patch in the boats history, however we believe that she found her way into the hands of Nick Edwards. There she lay until 2005 when she was found abandoned in the BLYM Boat park and adopted by Paul Knight and Steve Swinchett.
Paul and Steve took the boat into their care and soon had it into a functional national 12, not going to win any races soon but definately sailable. They too soon lost interest in the boat and Dave Blakesley and Dave Langston took charge of it (me, current owner).

We got hold of Dogmatic after a quick phone call to paul who donated her to us. She is now located at my house in Amersham, Buckinghamshire.
For photos and details of Mine and Daves restoration of Dogmatic, please visit our website at dogmatic2859.blogspot.com. This history has been copied and pasted from our site. Please feel free to email me with any history/details about dogmatic!

DavidL

Just a quick update on Dogmatic.
She has been sanded ready for the hull to be painted, gunnels stripped and repaired and gonna be collecting sails from the inlands in northampton.  Pictures will hopefully follow in the next couple of weeks.
Dave L

philipcosson

Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

n12 Bottom Banner