National 12 - find out more...

N2675 Gammerstang

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 23 Feb 2007, 04:25

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2675 Gammerstang. Design: Gammerstang, designed by: Angus Dick in 1973

mikeraine

This boat was owned at one stage by a fairly novice 12 sailor called Malcom Youkee. Sailed at British Motor Yacht Club on the Thames. The boat was painted white and I think had a needlespar mast.

JohnMurrell

Actually designed and built by Angus Dick. I see him occasionally - he only lives about 5 miles from me in Modbury. Next time I see him I will ask if he has any original pics of Gammerstrang.

Dave Croft

My father  - Maurice Croft bought this boat in the mid-70's from Angus Dick who was at university with Mile Hoyle. The boat was very similar in shape to Mike's Pencil Slip, I expect they both shared ideas. The idea was to get a boat for my father to sail on the river at our local club. She was a nice boat to sail and at times very fast up-wind. The sails were a bit shot when we got her but were never replaced. I remember when we got the boat home we discovered that half the centreboard was missing!! It looked as if she had been trailed with the plate rubbing along the ground at some point (no it hadn't been that way towing home, Dad was very particular about trailing boats). We didn't have the boat very long and I borrowed her once or twice. I do remember David East's wife (Ricky?) borrowed her for a race at Queen Mary once. The original colour was bright yellow - no easily missed on the start line!!

n12 Bottom Banner