National 12 - find out more...

N3255 Sorry Lads No Jeans

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 29 May 2008, 01:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3255 Sorry Lads No Jeans. Design: Baggy Trousers, designed by: Robert Peebles in 1980

tonyelgar

Just purchased "jeans" from Essex, now residing in Weymouth. Some pictures to follow once I have smartened her up. Anyone konw any history about her? I have seen her on a picture in the handbook for the Thames area so I'm assuming she spent most of her life around there.
ex 2760/3255

tonyelgar

ex 2760/3255

philipcosson

Hi Tony, good job on the transom; is that carbon or fiberglass?
I used to own 3253 which had a similar space frame. There are two boats in the northern fleet identical with the space frame 3216 and 3217. This frame fouls the kicker, and it is too low; Aardvark issues have experience with creating a spaceframe in carbon - 3217 is sporting a phenominal outfit at the moment.
I would dearly love to have upgraded my boat but we were always going to be too heavy for a baggy.
Phil
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

tonyelgar

Phil, thanks. The transom is actually marine ply, I replaced like for like, it was a true budget job! Plus the sailing club were keen for me to vacate the shed (keelboaters... :-/) so i had to do it in a hurry after work over a couple of weeks. As yet I havent sailed her, waiting on new bouyancy bags (the ones that came with it were huge!) and then its all go! She has so far had some new bits of string, and the plan is to look into a carbon space frame for the future, but first a re-spray this winter, then see how finances are going for a new set of rags and a carbon boom (she still has her 1986 sails :o - pretty good nick for there age mind..). Would love to know some more history about her though. Its one of the great things about the class, you can find out loads!

Tony 
ex 2760/3255

tonyelgar

Took jeans for her first sail in a long time today. Just a quick bimble into Weymouth Bay and back :)
ex 2760/3255

tonyelgar

Some further history provided by a previous owner, David Croft...
David purchased the boat from a person in Stoke-on-Trent who worked for laser and had built the boat by borrowing the moulds from Cheshire Dinghy and Dive. The same mould was used for some quick boats at the time, including "twice shy" which won the champs. When David bought her she had the proctor "c" mast she still sports today but the lowers David himself fitted. David also confirmed she did indeed have an aft tank once.
Thanks for the info Dave and the valuable advice that came with it!
ex 2760/3255

tonyelgar

Updated Picture of the inside, outside to follow when its finished!
ex 2760/3255

tonyelgar

hull ready for flipping over...
ex 2760/3255

jeremyf

I recognise that blue paint !!

tonyelgar

yes indeed, it is very similar, although grimalkin was international toplac - bondai blue, this is brightside - largo blue, and the orange name is a bit of a tradmark thing i guess, i liked it in grimalkin so...
ex 2760/3255

tonyelgar

finally back on the water!

ex 2760/3255

jeremyf

n12 Bottom Banner