National 12 - find out more...

2024 PY handicaps

Started by RichardW, 20 Mar 2024, 10:25

« previous - next »

RichardW

I see that the PY number for the modern N12 has increased by 6 points, but none of the older boats have changed.  We don't have enough data at our club to get meaningful data for just a few older boats so would it make sense to revise the older boats by +6 points too?

grazz

Richard

Good question. Up to this point the National 12 handicap  had generally been reducing. The reducing handicap would seem to tally with the steady improvement in speed of the new boats and developments in rigs etc. I think this is first increase in handicap and isn't obviously linked to any changes within the class. It's therefore an interesting question as to whether we should change the historic guidance. Changing history doesn't quite seem right but then we need to view that hsitory in the context of the current published handicaps.

I think this is something for the National 12 Committee to discuss. I'll suggest it is raised.

smilie

Quote from: RichardW on 20 Mar 2024, 10:25I see that the PY number for the modern N12 has increased by 6 points, but none of the older boats have changed.  We don't have enough data at our club to get meaningful data for just a few older boats so would it make sense to revise the older boats by +6 points too?
It's interesting what you say Richard, I wonder if you club is the norm for 12's sailing at club level. With the majority being older boats and very few of the newer designs racing at club level. Resulting most handicap returns being for 'slower' boats has meant the handicap has started to reflect the situation at your club. 

How does the current handicap compare to the suggested older boat handicaps?
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

n12 Bottom Banner