National 12 - find out more...

Ewen Stamp

Started by grazz, 21 Mar 2021, 08:51

« previous - next »

grazz

It is with much sadness that yesterday I learnt of the news that sadly Ewen Stamp has passed away following a short illness. Ewen had a very keen interest in the National 12 and the NTOA, spanning over 6 decades, from joining as an associate member in 1962 and even after selling his last N12 in 2003, continued as a member. More recently he enjoyed sailing his yacht and then his motor cruiser 'Imke', both were kept at RHYC on the River Orwell. Moreover, Ewen was still racing his Solo in club racing last year and won the RHYC's RNLI All In Race, during late October 2020. This was the maiden outing for his newly acquired Keyhaven Scow.

It is impossible for me to give full credit to Ewen's contribution to the National 12 Class and there are many who knew him for longer than I did, however in recent years we enjoyed many a discussion in the bar after racing at RHYC. Ewen would fondly recall National 12 events from 15, 20, 30 and even 40 years ago in great detail and these stories were fascinating. He took an interest in our new National 12, (N3551) and was certainly pleased to see a growing fleet at RHYC last year.

In the 1960s, as crew, Ewen sailed with Robin Steavenson in N2053, N1153, N153 and attended many opening meetings. They were an unbeaten team in 1962 until the first weekend of North West Norfolk Week in August of that year. Robin referred to Ewen as a "gentleman's gentleman". Ewen would tow the National 12 or International 14 to open meetings, allowing Robin to save time by going straight from his surgery to the event!
Ewen later went on to helm with his wife Mary as crew, with a number of race and trophy wins collected over the years, including finishing 2nd in the Burton 50th Anniversary Regatta in Poole, 1986 sailing N1153 and winning the Corrigan Cup at Burton Week. Like many N12 sailors, over the years Ewen enjoyed owning a number of National 12s including:

• N 2382 – Sutler – Proctor Mark 14
  • N 2477 – Watermark – China Doll
  • N 2650 – Paper Chase – Paper Dart
  • N 3211 – Philatelist - Crusader
  • N 3292 – Mailstrom – Design 8
  • N 3453 – E Mail – Final Chapter
Ewen was of course one of the rare individuals who have held the office of NTOA Secretary and NTOA Chairman, which he carried out with rigour – as one would expect from Ewen. He was the NTOA Secretary from 1969 – 1972 and NTOA Chairman from 1980 – 1982.

Ewen Stamp - August 1939 – January 2021

Our thoughts are with Mary and the family at this sad time.
George Finch

kysoneast

An incredible man and a wonderful friend to our family. Incredibly fond memories of him being a bloody good egg while I was a nipper at RHYC.

RIP.

n12 Bottom Banner