National 12 - find out more...

Free project Vintage N12 - 2285

Started by pbayliss, 31 Aug 2021, 02:36

« previous - next »

pbayliss

Hello,

I have a National 12 dinghy Walk-Away 2285 available for free as a project, located in Worcestershire, WR15.

I was going to try restoring it this summer but a change in circumstances and after an initial assessment I decided it is too big a project for me.
I would prefer if someone can restore and use the dinghy instead of breaking it for parts. It's a complete with sails and rigging.
It is all plywood construction Walk-Away, designed by: G. F. M. Walker in 1965

The hull has some historic repairs and needs restoration. The paint and varnish have come off in places as I had a prod, poke, and scrap as well as removing some loose putty from an old repair to examine the hull. I am not experienced in such things, but it needs more than a new coat of paint and varnish.
The transom has a crack, and the wood has gone soft around a drain hole.
The gunnels near the transom need repair and the softer inlay wood has rotted in places.
The bow has suffered from what I presume is water damage with the deck lifting at the very the front.

Includes rigging and sails with two masts, one boom, one main sail numbered 2285 and two jibs, one of which has a tear.

The rudder has a joint which needs regluing but otherwise appears in good condition compared to the rest.

It is currently on a combi trailer; the launching trailer is suffering from rust and the road trailer likely needs a service. Both trailers can be included if needed but unsure of the current road worthiness.

Unfortunately, I have never sailed it and so cannot comment on the handling or character.
More details or photos are available on request, viewings welcome.

Photos to added below.

pbayliss

Photos of the hull.

pbayliss

Photos of sails.

n12 Bottom Banner