National 12 - find out more...

Burton Week 2020

Started by grazz, 05 Jun 2020, 10:50

« previous - next »

grazz

Dear all
In anticipation of the government reviewing its guidance on 4 July 2020, the Burton Week committee will aim to make a decision on whether it's feasible to go ahead with Burton Week 2020 shortly after that date in consultation with Shoreham SC. Our priority in making the decision will be to ensure any event can be run safely and in accordance with RYA and government guidance. If it is feasible to run an event, it is very likely that changes will need to be made to format and facilities, so it won't be like any championships we've run before and we are likely to need a lot of volunteers to make it happen. Please ignore the planned entry fee increase on 28 June, we will notify a new date for the early entry cut-off fee at the time of making a decision, if it's a positive one.

I hope you are all enjoying being back on the water and staying safe while doing so. 

Zoe

Kevin

So today's the day the BW committee meet to call off BW this August. It's a shame but a small price to pay for being responsible. Is there any possibility of rescheduling for October half term do you think?
Kevin

Kevin

So, I now understand the BW committee met last week and decided to not decide until 18th July, in the hope that some of the current guidance changes.
Kevin

alann

Hi
I personally think the government guidelines are just that what is important is common sense
I feel that we should still keep our distance from people we don't live with, be it one or two meters for the foreseeable future .
Which makes racing impossible for some of us.
Alan

grazz

Dear all
We are currently having trouble with the usual email circulation list, so here's an update on Burton Week 2020.

At the last committee meeting, we considered whether we can safely run Burton Week under government guidance as revised from 4 July. Given that a 1 metre plus social distancing rule is in place, which would prevent helms and crews who aren't part of the same household (or bubble) from sailing together, we decided that it would not be fair to run a national championships where only half of the active racing fleet could participate. Added to this, gatherings outdoors are still restricted to six people not from the same household and indoors not more than two households.This would make the onshore elements of Burton Week very difficult to run within the current guidance and it wouldn't be the fun social event that we all enjoy. 

However, as the situation is very fluid and government guidance is changing rapidly, the committee has agreed with Shoreham that we will wait until 18 July to make the final decision, just in case there are any significant updates.  This is the latest possible date that we can reasonably take a decision, as a lot of work goes into organising Burton Week from both the class and the club sides. If there are not, the decision will be to cancel Burton Week. I know that this will be hugely disappointing for all of us, but our priority has to be running a safe and fair event.

I'd like to thank Shoreham (and especially Sophie and William) for their support in agreeing to make the decision as late as possible.

Zoe

rolandw

As a Shoreham member (and its only 12 that would regularly sail despite my continuous suggestions to get our leader to come back to the class) I would be sad to not have the chance to attend my first Burton "Week" at my home club even though I struggle to see how we could safely accommodate everyone given the current pandemic. If it doesn't happen perhaps we could have a one day event (thereby reducing the numbers to those in easy reach, reducing the requirement for close proximity camping in the boat park etc etc). Sadly it would still only be family/in-bubble boats but better than nothing. Then if we did such at Shoreham, perhaps other regional centres could also have a one day event. If all attempted 3 races on the day, all the scores at all the events could be pooled together to produce the day's winner. No, not champion, but just a winner.

Might be interesting to see what that other civilised class, the Solo, are doing: http://events.sailracer.info/events/user_files/Magic%20Marine%20&%20North%20Sails%20Solo%20National%20Club%20Race%20event%20-%2019th%20July%202020%20(1)-20200627-151840.pdf. They're doing it all via performance against GPS from home clubs.

3513SL

Hi Roland and all,

Interestingly enough I suggested the same idea last night to a few of the NTOA Committee. An Eastern, Southern, Northern, Scottish etc event on the same day, perhaps. Further details TBA based on 18th July decision and further guidance.

George
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

paul turner

Cancellation - a sad but clearly very wise decision in the circumstances. A sincere "thank you" to the committee for trying your best to work this out. Disappointing that NWNW too has had to be canned; I was intending to take Starfish N2020 to both but... The "Billy No Mates" are already on the water at Trent Lock but my 12s are all still in the barns ready to rock. Stay well and socially distanced, peeps, I know what a Covid 19 ward looks like from a patients view - you don't want to go there. Px

rolandw

I think it is exactly the right decision but it is sad that we won't see Shoreham full to the gills with 12s. Hopefully we can get on the open meeting list and encourage you all back for some nice open water sailing in the Channel - perhaps some might choose to stay and keep us company so that they are ready for when Burton Week is next scheduled our way!

n12 Bottom Banner