National 12 - find out more...

New boat china crisis

Started by stephenscriven, 20 Jul 2018, 10:24

« previous - next »

stephenscriven

Hello, my name is Stephen Scriven have only sailed in a twelve once before with Dares dad I think at Parkstone some 45/50yrs ago .Wanted something to sail now back in UK boat Rowsell built and in good order.Would like advice as has levers and muscle boxes on shrouds?
I would also like to bring back boat woodwork but seek advice on removing varnish
Thanks

angus

Hi Stephen welcome, China Crisis is a nice boat. for removing varnish I have been using a random orbital sander recently, but creates a lot of dust and doesn't get in the corners! When I did Reflection I  used Nitromos but that was slow and used an awful lot of Nitromos. The CVRDA web site is useful for this sort of stuff. Regarding levers and muscle boxes, some pictures would help, but I would say if it works leave it! where abouts are you and where do you intend to sail, there maybe somebody local who can help.
A final thought about the varnish, I think Alex was into two pack paints, it might be worth checking with him as to the type of varnish, if it is two pack it becomes a whole load more difficult to remove.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

darebarry

Hi Stephen. If my memory serves my right you crewed for my father at Burton week at Whitstable. After playing snooker you got locked in our hotel and we had to drop you out of the window onto a shed roof. Good to see you are playing about with 12's again. give us a call sometime 01983 529901.
Dare

Stephen Scriven

Hello Dare,
Sorry not me only sailed once with your dad. Looking forward to getting to try a 12 again. I see you are going to Burton Week and need a crew but I am close to 14stone so I think puts me out.
As it happens have been doing Classic Week with Mike Dixon in Flying fifteen .I will give you a ring next week.

n12 Bottom Banner