National 12 - find out more...

Salcombe

Started by David Copse, 10 Apr 2018, 06:48

« previous - next »

David Copse

Morning all,
Rowan and I are thinking of going to Salcombe for the GUL event in May but have never been before (and have heard mixed reviews concerning sailing there). Would it be possible to provide some guidance with regards to where we launch, store the boat when not sailing and any recommended campsites / B&Bs please? I acknowledge that we may be a bit late organizing accommodation, which may ultimately decide whether we go  :(

Many thanks,
David
3457 Ebba

David Greening

As a lifetime dinghy racer at Salcombe, I accept that sailing here can be a bit like Marmite, and strangely addictive, however it is never short on interest.

Sailing and launching is from the Batson Boatpark.  SYC usually try and set up a deal with the Harbour for competitors.

http://www.salcombeinformation.co.uk/ can provide you with lists of B&B's and Campsites.

Higher Rew Farm Campsite is owned and run by the Squires who have more than a passing interest in National 12s

http://www.higherrew.co.uk/

But it is 10 minute drive out of Salcombe.

Hope that this helps.

David Copse

Hi David,

Thank you, that was very helpful.

David
3457 Ebba

alann

Hi David
I normally book a cottage on the Thursday
Threw coast and country cottages that way I
can see what the weather is doing they have
Always found me something
Alan

Helen Lloyd

We welcome you to Salcombe! The sailing can be hugely varied, tidal, pretty, fast, drifty super planes in 'the bag' and sometimes seaward sailing but never dull. Launch is from Batson about a 10 min sail to the start line. We will be at Batson.  The accommodation recommendations provided so far are sound. Last year the club was under new management (which didn't last but has now stabilized ) and is acutely aware that the offer to the 12 fleet fell short of expectations in 2017. The local 12 fleet are working with the club to do better this time and I'll keep you posted. I didn't want to make false promises after last year so thought it better to wait til we had a firm plan.  Para-docs. 

Jayne Morris

We are looking forward to welcoming you all to SYC. With the sun shining this week the beaches are golden and the sea is very definately azure blue!We welcome you to enter this forthcoming  Open Meeting via our website. At the time of booking your entry you will also be able to book a Sailors Supper on Saturday 5th May. The Cost will be £12 for Fish Pie or Lasagne with French Fries and Salad &  ice cream with u12 year olds half price. It will be in the dining room where there will also be a family quiz on a nautical theme.
On Sunday you will have the option of ordering a picnic platter which will be taken to Smalls Beach.
For those that have been to SYC before we are sure you will be impressed with our new Chef!

Helen lloyd

During the n12 open at Salcombe there is a crab fest . There will be opportunities to sample crab, crab catching etc on Saturday fun. The event centres around the crabshed restaurant and crab quay which are where we launch in Batson . I m not sure of the implications for parking but it may be wise to be aware of the park and ride e.g. drop stuff then park and ride.
We plan to eat at the club Saturday night and partake of the platter on Sunday on the beach.
Looking forward to the visitors arriving

Jules McColl

Dear N12 Sailors

We are delighted to be holding the N12 Open at Salcombe this May Bank Holiday Weekend - we have some great meals organised at the club as well - these include:
Beach Food Boxes to come out to Smalls Beach for 12pm on both Sat and Sun - £10 for SYC Members and £11 for Guest Sailors
Sailors Supper - Sat 5 May - Lasagne or Fish Pie, Chips and Salad
BBQ - Mon 7 May- 1400
Please go to our website to sign up - our chef would like an idea of how many are coming by midday tomorrow - so great if you can sign up
See you all the weekend
Jules McColl
Club Manager

Jules McColl

HI everyone - sorry please note due to popular request - the Beach food will be just pastie and drink at £5 for members of SYC and £6 for a guest sailor - please do sign up on our website so we know how many to book

Kath

Hi
Can anyone help with accessing an entry form for this weekend? The link on SYC site does not appear to be working, unless I am looking in the wrong place.
Are boat fees at Batson included in the entry ?
Also if anyone knows of a spare (small) crew for Sunday that would be great.
Looking forward to sailing at Salcombe again...
Kath N3418

Helen Lloyd

Hi Kath
We struggled too and we are members!  We did it by clicking on book on line and clicking on the National 12 open bit. Jules McColl is the manager and if you use the contact page to e mail her I am sure she will try to sort it out. or jules@salcombeyc.org

Kath

Thanks Helen
I think I have found the link if I scroll down after all the food options! Seems the priority is for booking food not the entry!
Kath N3418

n12 Bottom Banner