National 12 - find out more...

Paper Dart Project

Started by Alistair Edwards, 11 Apr 2016, 08:18

« previous - next »

Alistair Edwards

A few years after selling 3143 Catatonic, my Tigress I have acquired another 12, a Paper Dart called Maxim. She appears to be basically sound, but is in need of better sails, new ropes, footstraps etc.

I have been borrowing another Paper Dart 2901 and found her very quick on the Thames, so I am hoping that after a bit of renovation Maxim will be just as quick.

The first job is sorting out an under the foredeck mast ram which appears to have got a bit stuck. Without realising what I was doing I pulled on a control line (with the rig down) and found it was connected to a mast ram. The ram pushed out so I now need to either remove it or free it up so that I can step the mast properly.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Dave Croft

Hi Alistair,

Glad to hear you've another 12. I think my boat has the same type of mast ram but it's fitted above deck, I think the problem may be the control rope chafing / jambing. From memory the first owner of that boat didn't sail a great deal so she has probably had a relatively easy life; certainly the Paper Dart was always a tiny bit quicker on the river than the Cat in the very light stuff, the tables turned when the breeze came on. I can tell you a bit of interesting history about that boat.

Let me know if you need a hand with the mast ram, you should have my number (Pip will if you don't).

Regards, Dave

Alistair Edwards

Thanks Dave I have emailed you. It would be great to learn a bit about the history of the boat.

She has a Thames registration sticker from 1981 on the forward bulkhead. The last 10 years have been spent at various clubs in Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.

N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

3513SL

Pleased to hear it has been bought!
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

David Greening

I believe that Maxim originally belonged to Mike Collyer who I think mostly sailed at Upper Thames.  She then went to Mike O'Brien when sailed her for many years at Aldenham.  I am pretty sure that she had quite a gentle and cared for life under these two owners.

Alistair Edwards

Thanks David. It is amazing to be able to obtain this kind of boat history. David Croft also remembers David Collyer (Collier?) from Upper Thames as the first owner.

She is certainly in very good condition for her age. I put the mast up this afternoon and using some advice from David Croft got the mast ram working nicely.

Having 2901 in the same dinghy park proved useful. I have been able to copy the mast foot position, mast rake etc.

Two TYC 12 owners have offered me sets of sails. I am hoping to get her on the water at some point this week,

It seems appropriate that she has returned to the Thames.
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

Alistair Edwards

Had my first brief sail in Maxim yesterday. In 2/3 knots of breeze she made progress against quite a significant stream, in spite of the 26 year old sails.

Everything works nicely. However the kicker arrangement is horrible (adjusting directly from a cleat on the lower cascade blocks) so that will be changing.

Surprised to discover there is only one position for the highfield lever, but rig tension was spot on when shrouds were tensioned. Always seen highfield levers with multiple positions before.

First race on Sunday morning. I should have some better sails by then.
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

n12 Bottom Banner