National 12 - find out more...

Terry Cooke

Started by Thomas, 14 Feb 2016, 07:24

« previous - next »

Thomas

Very sadly, former chairman Terry Cooke has passed away after a battle with cancer.

Terry was a stalwart of the class who started sailing 12s after giving up his Formula 40 catamaran career! Terry enjoyed his 12 sailing in the best of ways, he was a particular fan of Norfolk Week and competitive but fun racing. Terry usually sailed with one or other of his children, Mike or Angela.  12 sailing for Terry was about sailing competitively and making it family time.

Terry will be missed and we send our best wishes to Sharon, Angela, Mike and the rest of the family.

darebarry

Very sad news. Had many great Burton Weeks jousting with Terry. We always seemed to be on the same bit of water. Wishing the family all the very best. Dare barry

David_Wilkins

This is very, very sad.

The funeral will be a family event and they have requested no cards or flowers but donations to:

https://www.justgiving.com/Comms-Do-Snowdon/

This goes to Macmillan nurses who are such a comfort to so many who face this horrible illness. Terry's daughter-in-law is in the team tackling the challenge of Snowdon for this cause.
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

Antony Gifford

Terry was indeed a very special and lovely man.  I am old enough to remember a guy mad enough to build two 40ft cat hulls in the shed at Aldeburgh Boatyard but only really got to know him through 12 sailing.

I have very happy memories of 12 sailing and involvement in the NTOA that involve Terry and his enthusiasm and his smile.  I hold Terry and Mike Shallow responsible for my early years on the NTOA committee but in truth it was a great pleasure to work with him.   A whole generation of 12 sailors can say they worked a boat show for Gill as a result of a recruitment policy that seemed to start (and end) with the assumption that if you sailed a 12 you were good enough for Terry!

Love to all the family,
Antony

NTOACertification

Janet and I were very sad to hear of Terry's death. We worked with Terry closely, in his days as Chairman. He was also a regular customer of mine at Alverbank, and  I remember him being the fastest boat upwind in the big breezes of Pevensey Bay Burton in 1999.

He was always wanting to develop his rig and was the person who encouraged me to change our Twelve mainsail design into the Radial/Clew & Head arrangement now pretty common. He had an experimental ultra light Kevlar sail with carbon tape reinforcing.
He also had an elasticated luff sail which took four people to hold it flat in place to get the correct 3/4qtr. height measurement!

He was always enthusiastic about his sailing and great to be around.

Condolences to Sharon Angela Mike and the rest of the family.

Kevan and Janet Bloor

n12 Bottom Banner