Main Menu

N783 Pip

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 15 Mar 2007, 10:19

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N783 Pip. Design: Uffa King, designed by: Uffa Fox in 1936

h00per

h00per

Pip came into my care around 18 months ago. Since then I have been unable to do anything with her. I would like to have Pip sailable for summer 2010. Is it possible? I'll add more pictures and history as I go along.
Cheers
Ben

chalky

Only if you work much harder than over the last 18 months! It has taken me 9 months to get the inside and decks of Bobtail (nearly) complete.... Looking forward to more photos and progress reports.

h00per

Well Chalky, I can't offer any progress reports yet. I very much enjoyed looking into the history of Bobtail though.
How about a nice link to all the pics I have in the meantime?
http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/h00ple/BoatBucket/

Tim Gatti

Hi Ben - have looked over your Photobucket pics as well.  Looks like previous owner has already done a lot of the major work - re-ribbing and planking etc. Interesting to see that there appears to be a slot in the hog for a mast foot (as on N341)  but that there is also an arrangement for a deck stepped mast. As Chalky has said - a lot of hard and laborious work lies ahead. I would suggest you begin by drawing up a detailed list of all the things you think need doing and put against each of them a rough estimate of the time you think each will take you to complete.  Then against that an estimate of the time you could make available each week to work on her.  That will tell you whether or not a 2010 completion is feasible - from experience you usually find jobs to take double the time of your original estimate so be realistic.With that rough plan you can then stage the work out - and fit it in around the rest of your life. 
Happy to offer any advice I can from my own experiences on working on old 12's . Tim (N341, N493, N711, N1183, N2255, N3130, N3227 - pics on database)

chalky

Hi Ben,
If you want to be on the water in 2010 you will have no other life..... I am not as organised as Tim and have wasted lots of time by not planning ahead and obtaining materials before I need them. Pip looks pretty sound, and I'm sure you can get her back on the water (whrere abouts?) next year. Tim would!
John

h00per

There's no questioning the patriotism of Pip, she too did national service with the air-cadets. And this photo may help explain Tim's interesting slot in the hog. There's a similar one in the cross member that supports the mast, and the strut being held here with the kicker atatched spans the two.
This is one of the photo's supplied by Mary when I collected Pip, and I have no idea about the when, where or who. If anyone can help shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.
Cheers
Ben

Tim Gatti

Hi Ben - looks like Pip had/has a removeable kingpost supporting a deck-stepped mast. Interesting. Tim

n12 Bottom Banner