National 12 - find out more...

Dive Dive Dive

Started by THG, 07 Jul 2005, 09:37

« previous - next »

THG

Out in my Baggy T last night and all went well until a big squall hit us on a run - nose dived, then  flooded with water over foredeck and ended up in the drink.

To prevent the nose dive should have moved back quicker - anything else we could have done?

Next problem is that after righting we were almost level with the water and not much chance to sail her dry - how big should the rear bags be?  They don't seem big enough to me.

Kean
N3364

THG

Guest (Guest)

Absolutely normal for a baggy! Yes you should get further back. Some people used to put extra bouyancy in the back - I have a built-in rear tank. The problem with bags is they float above the water even if properly strapped down and don't displace the water from the bottom of the boat. Thus the boat sits lower when righted. Even so, I'm surprised you could not sail her dry - if there is enough wind to capsize.....

Philip
N3217

THG

My crew went swimming off whilst I righted boat so I ended up dropping main and going back on jib.  Only have a young 'un as crew so we need a bit more practise in windy weather - capsize practise and sailing full of water.  There were several boats over at same time so thought it best just to take it easy and not risk any further damage etc.

Kean
THG

Martin

As the boat goes over do not be tempted to climb on the high side as your weight will sink the boat further and when you right the boat make sure that you keep your weight low ie don't stand on centreboard or hang on gunwhales.  (oh for a self drainer!)

MikeDay

On the run, you have to get the weight back.  The helm should be sitting off the quarter on one side, the crew in the same position on the other.  In my Baggy many years ago, and in subsequent boats, I had a single windsurfer toe strap mounted in the middle of the boat on the back tank, about 20m from the transom.  This gives you a solid place to hook your back foot in, with the front foot under the toe strap.  This makes it feel much more stable.

Mike D
N3496

matt (Guest)

how was your kicker. I used to find broaching and nose diving a problem if the kicker was off far enough for the leech to be ahead of the topmast. That was a garanteed capsize when the breeze was up.
Matt

MikeDay

- and another thing ... when a gust hits you on the run and the wobbles start, pull in a foot or more of mainsheet quickly - it's not a quick way to sail but it will stabilise you.  Let it out again as soon as you feel safe.

Mike D
N3496

David W (Guest)

20m from the transom!!! - I'm sure no-one would ever nose dive again if we all had boats as long as yours Mike!!!

Cheers
David ;)

MikeDay

er, ok -  I know I had one or two problems measuring - now I know why!  Actually, that should have been cm - still haven't got the hang of these metric measurements.

Mike D

Mikey C

It wont help much when you are already nosediving, but I like to heat it up a bit on runs like that, If you can get some apparent wind going nosediving is a less likely occurance (prevention better than cure if you ask me), although that option almost certainly means an extra gybe or two so it depends on course size as to if you can get away with it...

Footloops are good - I have one on each side to lock into - obviously not quite as tall as Mike D...

Practice is the best solution mind!

Cheers

Mike C
3489 Radical Edward
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

Tom Jefferies

Also when you feel the boat to start nose diving gat the crew to pump the jib hard. helps to create a bit of lift. Its saved me before!!

cheers tommo
N3438

Pip

Yes, I can confirm what Tom says!
Having had two nose dives in one year, Chris and I had quite a bit of practice! I can fly between the shrouds quite easily now!
However, pumping the jib as the nose goes in and getting back quickly helps to pull the nose out!
It has helped keep the number of nose dives to 0 this year!
 ;D

me (Guest)

pumping the jib doesnt do anything, the sails are too small so it doesnt have any affect. You just need to sail it better and predict the nose dive!

Tom Jefferies

thanks for that comment. when you are both of the transom anyway you could nose dive at any time easy to predict, hard to avoid!
N3438

shake

n12 Bottom Banner