National 12 - find out more...

Centreboards

Started by BrianWhitmey, 16 Dec 2005, 10:45

« previous - next »

BrianWhitmey

Hi folks!
With winter coming on, I'm looking for an excuse to spend some time pottering in a warm garage and following an unfortunate incident with the trolley early this year a new centreboard is quite high up the wish list.

Before I start chopping bits of wood up ... some thoughts....

Using a widened top of the centreboard to fill the centreboard case when it's down (is this what's meant by the term 'hatchet centreboard'?); is it legal? Is it worth the effort? Does the extra bit get in the way when you come ashore?

your opinions would be welcome!

Merry christmas to you all and here's to a great 70th year!

Brian

Mikey C

Hatchets have a long arm out of the front of the board to the pivot point - I cannot remmeber if 3111 has this or not... Email me some pics if you have got any and I can probably tell you!

Best way is for this arm to be very thin (3 or 4mm) and have a fixed amount of padding in the box either side of the arm in the rotational arc of the arm to displace the most water - as this is fixed in, it is not against the rules. All this fuss for a few k's of displacement... Maybe we should have daggerboards to save the expense?

mike@teamaardvark.org

Hatchets are perfectly legal thank you!

Mike C
NXXXX
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

BrianWhitmey

Tom H says that 42 used to have a hatchet centreboard, but she's always had a pretty bog standard one as long as I've has her (now a rather warped, split and generally knackered, bog standard one).

This arm ...... does it pivot outside the centreboard case? ie is a hatchet more or less a daggerboard that swings in and out of the case ??

I get the impression from this forum that the c/b v d/b  debate has aroused much passion in the past and I'm nervous about re-awakening a sleeping giant with this thread...
B

n12 Bottom Banner