National 12 - find out more...

centremain - health issues

Started by philipcosson, 02 Mar 2006, 08:40

« previous - next »

philipcosson

I purposely moved to this class because it was aftmain. To give more room in the boat and because  I learn't this way.

Just got this off another thread:

"... I understand that the Dutch Sailing Authority are now reluctant to support the Mirror as a Junior Class because they have medical evidence that the aft sheeting system ,because of the twisting posture, can damage backs and knees. I have heard that the RYA was also concerned because some similar evidence from the Topper Class, which of course now permits centremains."

What could this evidence be? Could the RYA be "concerned" for us? or is it just Kids classes?
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

Jimc (Guest)

I was peripherally involved with the Topper centremain thing and I don't recall hearing anything like that. All the arguuments were about the Laser 4.7 gaining numbers from the Topper becaiuse all other youth singlehanders are centremain.

Antony (Guest)

I think that it is absolutely true that an aft mainsheet hiking dinghy is bad for your back, if you do not take care of your back when not sailing.  I did not realise that this was not already public knowledge!

I work in an office and suffer from problems with my back that are definitely in part linked to the 12.  I make the choice to keep using the aft mainsheet as I think that it is better in such a short boat with the crew movements that are necessary.

Every year I promise myself I will make more effort to rebuild the muscles that are not supporting my back... once again this is my new year resolution.

Antony
N3484

n12 Bottom Banner