National 12 - find out more...

Fixtures

Started by Antony (Guest), 04 Mar 2006, 05:20

« previous - next »

Antony (Guest)

Can somebody (Kevin?) explain to me how Trent Valley persuaded the committee to put it into the Gill Series?  It seems to fail on all the sailing (too small) and calander requirements (same month as Northampton) that I thought were key, and therfore only ticks the social box.  

I have nothing against TVSC (many happy dinner memories of the place).

Thanks
Antony
N3484

Richard Pilgrim

For the record Antony, I was the N12 rep for TVSC last year and I can inform you that our club did not 'persuade' the committee to hold a Gill Series meeting here. For the record Antony, we were approached by the committee and asked if we would be willing to host a Gill Series meeting which of course, we are delighted to do.

I do so hope you enjoy your dinner next May.

Richard Pilgrim
N3300

david w (Guest)

Well I was very pleasently surprised to see that Trent Valley will be a Gill event - The water isn't realy too small as the club has run open meetings in the past with the sort of turnouts that we now expect for a Gill event - It's great news  for  those of us who's specilaity is river sailing. Room to camp is another criteria that the club passes on so that's at least 2/3! We enujoyed a fantastic day's sailing at TVSC last year - it was surprisingly, my first sail there and I loved it! Looking forward to dinner and sailing!!!

Incidentally I have heard a rumour that the idea for this to be Gill event came from someone who I would least expect to make such a suggestion  who is not on the comittee and is not known for his love of river sailing!

Cheers

David

EmmaW

Personally, I am very excited about having a Gill Series event at Trent Valley. It may not be a big bit of water but surely that makes it all a bit more interesting and makes the series more fair - those with boats suited to the river do not necessarily do so well on open water. I think it will be a fun affair and something a bit different. You will not find a more welcoming club than TVSC either.

Don't forget...variety is the spice of life and we all like a bit of spice every now and again!

Emma  :)
Emma  (dance)

Terry C (Guest)

Ken Goddard (Guest)

As an ancient and long-standing member of Trent Valley - though not so closely involved these days - I was also surprised that we have been asked to host a Gill meeting these days, but nevertheless delighted. Drawing a parallel with the National 12 Open meeting in the club's ceternary year of 1986, we should well be able to cope. Then we had 45 starters in 3 flights and 106 sitting down (or squeezed in!) for Dinner on the Saturday night. Apart from the features mentioned by other respondents we also have a number of bunkrooms available, both men and women. We are not sure how many as yet but Paul Turner will circulate details of the meeting in due course. An early indication of intention to take part would be valuable.

Another advantage of taking part in this year's meeting is that competitors will be able to familiarise themselces with the course in preparation for the 2007 event when we will be celebrating the 70th Anniversary of this Open Meeting. We believe that the 1937 event was the very first National Twelve club open meeting in the class. Furthermore it will be the year of the 100th Anniversary of the clubhouse. More celebrating!

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Ken Goddard
N.2300  

Paul Turner N2487/3500 (Guest)

Having just taken over as class rep at TVSC I was a bit "boverd" about the first message about the GILL meeting hoping that it was not representative of the classes general view but was relieved at the messages of support which followed!

We are thinking of putting on live music on the Saturday evening (probaly in a marquee) and I would be most interested to know everyone's preference from the following list!

1950/60s rock 'n roll
Blues Bros/Committments modern rock 'n roll
Folk/singalong night

Hope to see lots of you there!

Jane W (Guest)

I do understand why Antony posted his message - TVSC wouldn't be on my list for the Gill series but do now see the pertinence of its inclusion.

Still not sure if I will come but the prospect of a folk/sing-a-long evening would definitely put me off!  Hope to see you all at Bristol.

Jane W

Mikey C

I thought it was a bit rude of Pitsford to put their Gill open in the same month as a quality event like Trent Valley!

Maybe the current wide boats have developed themselves into a corner where they no longer suit the events that the 12's are 'ideal' at...

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

Dear Jane W, if I promise that we won't have a sad folk band, will you promise to sail at our GILL meeting? P

THG

OK with river sailing but unsure as to how you handle a large turnout for starts - some notes on flights - how does this work??

Kean
THG

Terry C (Guest)

hairy dog

if there's going to folk music perhaps morris dancing could be arranged too? :P
get a Mungral up ya! :o

As I am only recently returned to the 12s and not yet fully up to speed on who is who, and what passes as entertainment at social events, could someone please explain to me the following:

1. Who is Morris, and what sort of dancing does he perform?

2. How do I set up a poll for music tastes? (And will Morris want to dance around it?)

Incidently photos courtesy of Dave Eberlin of the launch of Mr Aardvark's latest creation N3500 "Crazy Diamond" on New Years Day at Notts County are available (for those who are really bored or need to get out more!) from me at paul.turner@lingphipp.co.uk

angus

Is that old Morris senior or........ Morris minor and you better chec that Pole while your at it.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner