National 12 - find out more...

outhaul

Started by Jerry G, 08 Mar 2006, 09:48

« previous - next »

Jerry G

I am intending to replace the ageing outhaul within the boom.  Proctor alloy boom as supplied with P&B Design 8.  Peering down the boom it looks horribly complicated.  Any tips on how to set about it?  Is it necessary to remove one or both of the boom end fittings?

Antony (Guest)

Jerry,
I think, from memory, that there is usually only one block inside the boom.  The answer to your question as to whether to remove an end depends on whether that block fits out through one of the ends or not.  I am pretty sure that we used to replace the outer piece of rope (that is tied to the block in the boom) by either pulling the block out of the outer end or by attaching an extension to the rope so that you can pull it to the inboard end.  I do not recall ever removing an end fitting, and I have certainly replaced the ropes.

I am not sure if the above makes sense, or indeed if for some reason your arrangement is more complicated.

Antony

MikeDay

I'm not even sure you would need to put a block inside the boom.  You can double or even treble the purchase between the clew and the end of the boom using appropriate blocks.  Then take the string straight through the boom and stick another block on the end.  If you are then leading the string back either side, you'll get another extra purchase and that ought to be enough.

Mike D
N3496

sinker24

my paper dart has an internal outhaul system which i refitted last month. it took a thin screwdiver with a lagre flathead and a lot of cursing to get the end through the internal block. it is worth it though. last season i had to tie the outhaul off to the kicker block..
cheers for the sails by the way Jerry, the jibs holding out great and the main has been taped over so should last another season with luck and few capsizes.
Ben

N2743 'Pom'

n12 Bottom Banner