National 12 - find out more...

Dinghy Show

Started by James Taylor, 05 Mar 2006, 07:16

« previous - next »

James Taylor

So anyone go today hope there was lots of people around the 12's stand couldn't make it as was on call. :(

James N3304

sinker24

hi,
i spent a giddy 20 minutes around the 12 stand. i wish i could get my varnishwork that shiny. am still unconvinced about the carbon revolution, give me a wooden boat any day. the 12 stand was the best at the show and congrats to all who helped make it brilliant, it made my day and we nonw have another 12 convert at Seasalter. he is so interested that we want to try to build a cheshire cat design in the summer. is there anywhere i can get the designs?
Cheers, Ben

MikeDay

The 12 stand at the show was superb - thanks to great work by Graham, Nigel and many others, not least the owners who prepared the five boats so beautifully.  We made a real impact and I spoke to around six people personally just on Saturday morning who are seriously considering converting to 12s.  

In answer to the previous post, you'll get Cheshire Cat's lines from Mike Jackson - it would be a very retro thing to do - but why not?

Mike D
N3496

barry (Guest)

I agree the 12 stand was the best at the show and the boats looked really good.

Thanks to all on the stand for their time and enthusiasm, as a new older 12 owner I  got a lot of positive and useful information.  

Good video as well!

sinker24

hi mike,
was thinking of building the cheshire cat hull design with a buoyancy tank at the stern like the china doll design. any advice on amatuer building would be great.
cheers, Ben

DavidW

If you take a look at the members area of the wbsite you'll find a very useful guide on amateur building. There are a number of association members with experience in building in wood and I'm sure that many would be delighted to give advice.

As for built in bouancy at the rear - rather than a tank as seen on Talisman you might do better to go for a shallower tank but which extends all the way to the side decks  - I've had one like that in a Final Chapter. It seemed to work very well in a capsize and had the advantage that it was less of an obstruction to the water trying to rush out of the transom flaps afterwards.

New Cheshire Cats - an interesting thought - a great design - I've had 2 and they were brilliant boats. The first followed on from my China Doll and the first time out was in a force 6 -7.  We flew and didn't capsize - she seemed much easier to keep upright than the Doll which I'm sure we'd have put in had sailed her on the day.

And yes - well done all those who put the stand together - I heard several comments that it was the best at the show and it certainly was in my opinion. The quality of boat preparation was  fantastic - brought back memories of many hours of sanding and varnishing over years gone by! The information boards and video were great. The enthusiasm for the Class  of all those on the stand couldn't fail to be noticed by the visitors.

Cheers

David
 ;D
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Nathan (Guest)

Big thank you for everyone that helped at the dinghy show it was fantastic! Also thanks very much to graham and zoe for putting us up and feeting the hungry helpers.

Cheers Nath

sinker24

hi david,
i am thinking about putting in a rear tank similar to the ones on the old wooden hornets which not only keep the boat up but look beautiful. i think the curve of the tank might be complimentary to the overall design. the gidelines on the members area are brilliant. am unsure of what to call this developed design if i can indeed name it tho 'lost in chashire' does sound nice. could anyone tell me how to get in touch with Mike Jackson so i could get plans?
cheers, ben

John Murrell (Guest)

Ben,

my only comments, for what they are worth is that built in tanks coming up to the sidedecks do make it hard to get far enough back on a screaming reach, but a good low back tank will give you space to get the backside over the transom - a serious consideration for sailing in places like Salcombe where flat water blasting happens. Also the low tank helps to stiffen up theback of the boat and stop it twisting. If you have a look at the pic of me sailing 3396 you will be amazed how much the hull bends...... This is one of the major benefit of double floors.

Good luck

John

Richard Pilgrim

I thought the N12 stand was fabulous and was by far the best spectacle of the whole show. What particularly impressed me was the amount of preparation that had been done in advance - well done to Nigel, Graham and everyone else involved in that. It must have been a huge task to get things ready, and was much appreciated!

Richard

jon bradbury (Guest)

hi

on the topic of the dinghy show i heard a rumour that i won the guess the weight competition .....is this true? and if it is how do i collect my prize!!!!!

cheers Jon

jammy dodger

Well done to all of you who put in so much time and effort to make it all happen. The boats looked stunning and we certainly had a load of visitors when Thomas and I were helping o Saturday. If we get the picture pages back, I'll put a few up of the stand.
Simon
N3470

grazz

Thanks to all the volunteers who helped make the show such a success. The hard work definitely paid off and here are some of the stats:

• We gave away 80 publicity packs to people who were seriously interested in joining the class (which I think is at least double normal)
    • 700 kids did the quiz (which kept their parents on the stand for at least half an hour each)
    • 300 adults entered the guess the weight prize draw
    • We gave away around 600 posters to kids on the RYA treasure hunt
    • Rod Carr, the chairman of the RYA, visited the stand and was very impressed
    • The RYA's marketing team were delighted with the impact it made in Palm Court
    • And we've got lots of interest from the magazines (Dinghy Sailing Magazine, Yachts & Yachting and Practical Boat Owner) who are interested in running a series of articles on the 70th anniversary and the class in general

Next stop, Northampton. Can't wait!

DavidW

What was the correct answer to the guess the weight competition?

Cheers

David ??)
    David Wilkins
    3481 Cooked to Perfection

BrianWhitmey

Great show! Jackie and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Well done and thanks to all who made it happen.

On the subject of building a new Cheshire Cat .... I am certain that there are dozens of old, unhappy Cheshire cats lying in deep puddles at sailing clubs across the country. Speaking as an amateur environmentalist who never likes to see good plywood go to waste, would rennovating an old one to 'as new' be en equally good/better bet? You could still do all the mods you want and I reckon it would be equally satisfying if a little messier when you're stripping all the old paint off.

n12 Bottom Banner