National 12 - find out more...

Rig tension

Started by Barry, 11 Mar 2006, 02:40

« previous - next »

Barry

My 12 has a fixed jib luff wire which goes onto a rack on the mast. The shrouds are adjustable by via cascades. This is how I get the rig tension.

I presume, with this set up,  the only reason for having rig tension adjustable through the jib luff wire (as I have on my Lark with fixed shrouds) via a cascade would be to be able to rake the mast while afloat.

What is the general norm, stick with jib luff wire fixed to a rack or go for abjustable jib luff wire?

Thanks

Barry
N3364 (varnish imminent)

Antony Gifford (Guest)

Barry,

The norm is to have an adjustable system that begins down the back of the mast (with the jib halyard exiting just below the goosneck) and then has a tackle down in the boat along the centreboard case.  To be honest unless you love the idea of multiple adjustments I would not change the set-up until you have had more time in the boat.  

Antony
N3484

THG

Barry,

The simple rack works fine with the jibs you have (I set the chocks and the luff tension on shore and never bothered changiing) - the only issue I found was when I purchased a 'new' jib with longer luff length then had to mess around with a rope loop to get the fixed wire length correct (worked most of the time but one time my knot slipped off - ooops no rig tension).

I think there's plently to learn and play about with and on small lakes it doesn't make much difference.

Kean
N3339 (ready to go sailing!)
THG

Mikey C

I didnt even have a rack on my last boat - adjustment is overrated...
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

n12 Bottom Banner