National 12 - find out more...

12s in the south east

Started by bensaunders (Guest), 03 Mar 2006, 12:45

« previous - next »

bensaunders (Guest)

having aquired and restored a Paper Dart last summer from my club, Seasalter SC, i have been looking around for more 12s in the area, with an idea either to get them to join Seasalter to engauge in some good handicap racing, or to meet up for tips on rigging, tuning and other hints to help me beat the peski miracles and solos that appear to breed at Seasalter.
is there anyone else out there in the area? i know there used to be a thriving 12 population at Whitstable but they seem to have vanished.
cheers,
Ben

MikeDay

You're right - Whitastable had a good fleet a few years ago plus a regular open meeting and occasional championships.  The club is still listed on this website but it seems all the previously active members are now hibernating or moved on to less good things.  You'll find active 12s and open meetings at Chipstead (not that far away towards London) and Thorpe Bay (er, quite near by water). You'll be very welcome at any of the Thames Area meetings this year if you fancy some travelling - it's a good way to meet other 12 sailors and pick up some tips.

Mike D
N3496

Giles_Edmondes-Preedy

There are two active 12's at Chipstead; three when I get mine back on the water.

Chipstead is right by J5/M25 - you're always welcome to stroll by for a chat, tips or whatever.

Giles
N3319

sinker24

thanks to both of you for you for the invites and the advice. will have to persuade my dad to lug me up to chipstead some time.
cheers, Ben

Bob Murrell (Guest)

Hi Ben
Chipstead Summer season starts on w/e 1st, 2nd April. You would be very welcome to come and have a chat. There are 2 Twelves regularly sailing in the Handicap fleet on Sunday mornings, Richard Ball & myself and once Giles has finished varnishing, there might be 3!. We start 10.45.
The Open Meeting is on Saturday 24th June.
Bob
N3435

sinker24

Hi any chipstead members
where is the nearest train station to the club and would it be far to cycle?
Cheers, Ben

sinker24

almost forgot,
A new date for any southern 12 owners diary is 9th september- Seasalter SC annual open race to Fowley Island and back. good fun and it would be great to have some more 12s down to show the Bough Beach pacers, Whitstable cats and local miracles what a proper dinghy is.
if you e-mail me i'll get our sailing commodore to get in touch with you.
Cheers, Ben

Bob Murrell (Guest)

Hi Ben
Dunton Green station would probably be the nearest within cycling distance. Look it up on Streetmap at the following address
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=551500&y=156500&z=3&sv=551500,156500&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=816&ax=550338&ay=156370
Sevenoaks station is a bit further away.
Bob

jon (Guest)

In truth both dunton green and sevenoaks are the same distance and sevenoaks will have more connections to it.
about the cycling its not hard i cycle it twice a day in the summer to get to skool.

Giles_Edmondes-Preedy

Jon,

Good to see the Judd is keeping the spirit of Molesworth alive.

Agree about the Sevenoaks connections - the fast trains stop there, only the slow trains stop at DG.

Giles
N3319

BrianWhitmey

hi Ben,
You would also be most welcome to come over to Bough Beech at some time. Not too far from Sevenoaks....

In fact we really should fix it up that the Bough Beech 'fleet' and Chipstead get together some time for a bit of friendly inter-club rivalry ...and I'm sure we could include Seasalter as well.

01732 351805 if you want a chat.

Brian

andy n

Hi Ben,

There are at least 3 12s at Pevensea bay club www.pbsc.org.uk/ We are hoping to rekindle things there a little this season.

Were is your boat at the mo?

Andy

sinker24

hi andy, my twelve is at Seasalter SC on the North Kent coast. it is to the left of Whitstable! am on my tod as there are no other 12s in the club or at some of the other west kent clubs :'( there are some visitors from Brighton sailing club who are coming up to seasalter this year for a long weekend though but i think that would be a seperate club to you.
ta, ben

n12 Bottom Banner